Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Nas writes quick. I've seen that video of Primo doing the orchestra beat and Nas wrote his lyrics on the spot and spit them. So I don't understand why it's taken almost 20 years for them to do an album together.

Nas has to be INSPIRED. He’s said it over and over time and again in both songs and interviews. If he isn’t INSPIRED by what the producer is presenting then it could be Quincy Jones and Stevie Wonder in the studio feeding him instrumentals, it ain’t happening.

Nas also likes to spend time with the producer he’s working with to find a groove. He spent extensive time holed away with Track Masters, Salaam Remi, Will I Am, NO ID, and Hit-Boy. Which is why they made the majority of the albums they worked on. Premo has been busy touring and working the past twenty years. He doesn’t just sit at home and wait for people to come to him, he stays on the road. Premier even said the reason that he wasn’t on Hip Hop Is Dead was because he and Nas were just finding a groove when he had to go on tour in Japan and Nas was mad that he was leaving.

This is the time where Nas and Premo have had time to carve out extensive working time. They set up Hip Hop Is 50 Vol. 1 and Premier has been around with both Nas and Hit Boy for a few years now.