Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Don’t go it anything with the mindset of already comparing it to other pieces of art. Let everything have its special place and appreciate/value it.

That's gonna be difficult lol. But it's also a testament to Nas for still reaching high levels.

giphy.gif

Hey if this can knock one of them out of my top 5 Nas albums I'll be happy :smugbiden:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Fool me once...
images

They should've done an album between 1996-2000.
Waiting until Premier is knocking on 60 is crazy.

I'm not believing it's an album until they announce it.

Pete Rock hasn't lost a step. He's still dope so I have more faith in him on production.

Truth.

Pete still has beats that he cooked up in the early to mid 90's on the SP that sound better than damn near all the sh*t he's done since Petestrumentals. So I would definitely be in to hear Nas over those classic Soul Brother joints. Pete is still cooking up beats all day long, so dude never lost it.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
True, but this is just out of some obligation to the fans and running it back for old times sake type deal

Very true.

And Primo is my dude, but he hasn't made anything in forever that's brought his sh*t back to the high standard of who he is. I really don’t think he sits around and even works on tracks anymore, unless he gets a call. So everything I hear from the OG these days is kinda just aight. Cool for whatever it is, but not that mind-blowing sh*t he used to bless us with when we were growing up in the 90's. Him and Dre are my two favorites of all-time, but I think they've both kinda hit the ceiling with their work mad long ago.

Tip is in my Top 3, and he's still crazy on the beats. He never stops working on sh*t. So I would be more excited about that collabo.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
:russ:@ the blatant hate

Composure
Nobody
Micheal & Quincy
First Time
Beef
Car 85
Based On a true story 1 &2
My Bible
Brunch On Sunday
Recession Proof
Dedicated
Don’t even engage w/ dude. Every Nas thread he looks for an “in” to let off some hate and hopefully sucker folks into a back and forth so he can run his post count up.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
C'mon Preem, I know you can give us a few beats atleast on this level for this project:

You one of the GOATS, I got faith in you :salute:

"Glowing Mic" has not left rotation for me. It has a NaS sample for "Come and Get Me", feels like he still on the track even without rhyming. I also loved that Common joint recently, it was only one verse but Common should had two, that joint is tough. I have no doubts for Premo will come through. Also I'm not comparing this to his projects or putting expectations that it needs to sound like "XYZ". This is NaS and Premo in 2024 not 1993. "NaS is Like" sonically didn't sound like anything off 'Illmatic" same with "2nd Childhood". I am not expecting this track or potential album to sound like previous stuff. I'm excited to hear the scratches, samples and beats Premo uses in this time.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Very true.

And Primo is my dude, but he hasn't made anything in forever that's brought his sh*t back to the high standard of who he is. I really don’t think he sits around and even works on tracks anymore, unless he gets a call. So everything I hear from the OG these days is kinda just aight. Cool for whatever it is, but not that mind-blowing sh*t he used to bless us with when we were growing up in the 90's. Him and Dre are my two favorites of all-time, but I think they've both kinda hit the ceiling with their work mad long ago.

Tip is in my Top 3, and he's still crazy on the beats. He never stops working on sh*t. So I would be more excited about that collabo.

There was a point in the 2000s where all of Pete's stuff started sounding weak to me, perhaps culminating in the disappointing Smif-N-Wessun album he did. But I agree over the last 3-4 years I've heard multiple tracks I like. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's new and what's old which speaks highly of him, frankly.

Out of all the late 80s/90s dudes I'd agree Tip is the best right now. The stuff he did on WTT, the Kanye tracks, the Tribe album a few years ago...he still has it.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Very true.

Tip still needs to finish that LL album

Theres other people I'd be more interested hearing Nas with at this point (Alchemist, Metro Boomin, Madlib, Harry Fraud) but at this point Im just fine to hear what he got. Only problem I have is Nas gotta fight perception and constantly releasing stuff means people only judge him by his last record and I already know this album gonna bring up those type of fans.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Catering to old hip hop heads with this is gonna be tough, cause theyve wanted to this for years but you know they're already complaining its still too late or will complain that Preemo's beats dont hit and blame Nas even thought we know how Preemo sounds past 20 years firmly in a formular pocket apart from a couple of examples.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Catering to old hip hop heads with this is gonna be tough, cause theyve wanted to this for years but you know they're already complaining its still too late or will complain that Preemo's beats dont hit and blame Nas even thought we know how Preemo sounds past 20 years firmly in a formular pocket apart from a couple of examples.

Truth.

Pete still has beats that he cooked up in the early to mid 90's on the SP that sound better than damn near all the sh*t he's done since Petestrumentals. So I would definitely be in to hear Nas over those classic Soul Brother joints. Pete is still cooking up beats all day long, so dude never lost it.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
Hopefully no double time flow or just rambling...that's all I got from them hitboy albums...Nikka was rappin long sentences more focused on cadence which was amazing but he wasn't saying shyt forreal..he got off on the Wayne joint tho but f that go back to the slow flow wit barzz..I kno imma get hate and Nas is my Goat but please...and stop being preachy about success and what other people ain't doing...I'm sorry but I love Ignorant Nas...spitting tales...take it back nikka...take it back

KD2, KD3 and Magic were incredible albums and were universally praised as classics or borderline classics :gucci: