My best friend is joining the Army (active duty)

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Please drop any advice.

He is 24, two kids, a girl that he plans to marry and works as a maintenance man.
He went to school but didn't finish and owes loans.

he wants to finish school via the army and get tuition reimbursement.

he picks his job next week. i cant believe i didn't get advice from The Coli.

PLEASE HELP HIM. I'll make him view this thread.

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Two kids and getting married? :merchant:

The army ruins marriages unless the girl is DEDICATED.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Two kids and getting married? :merchant:

The army ruins marriages unless the girl is DEDICATED.
they been 2gether since 11th grade. the girl is my cousin and he is my best friend/brother. theyre good.

kids are like my nieces and nephews.

if anything, this will bring them closer

Daps
Sounds like he has his shyt together. Why on earth would he need advice from a sports and hip hop internet forum?

MikeBrownsJob

Seattle fan since 2013 *deal with it slime*
Daps
Reppin
Seattle We Run You Nyggas Ask Russel Wilson
Please drop any advice.

He is 24, two kids, a girl that he plans to marry and works as a maintenance man.
He went to school but didn't finish and owes loans.

he wants to finish school via the army and get tuition reimbursement.

he picks his job next week. i cant believe i didn't get advice from The Coli.

PLEASE HELP HIM. I'll make him view this thread.

He needs to read the fine print.

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/H...ge_Loan_Repayment_Program_(LRP).html?serv=228

Eligibility:

Army Reserve Soldiers on drilling status are eligible for the Loan Repayment Program if they meet the following conditions:

• Soldier must have LRP guaranteed in writing in the enlistment contract
  • Soldier must enlist for a minimum of six years
  • Soldier must have a high school diploma and a score of 50 or higher on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
  • Soldier must enlist in one of the critical military occupational specialties (MOS) that qualifies for the program. (Local Army recruiters have the current list, which changes often depending on the current needs of the service.)
  • Loans must be made, insured, or guaranteed prior to entry on active duty.

At 24 does he realize he'll be 30 before he gets to decide what next? That's not the most troubling part. Having to enlist into a critical skill means 18 x-ray(special forces) EOD (explosive ordinance disposal) :whoa: and other very dangerous jobs. Is he prepared to do that? Is he also prepared to be at the NEEDS OF THE ARMY IF HE SHALL FAIL OUT OF THAT SCHOOL!!! That means if he doesn't make it which is very likely no matter who you are(injury, sickness, family emergency) etc he'll go to infantry.

Here's what he should do. Enlist in a medical job. Lab tech, X-ray tech, something medical. Work inside doors, out of harms way with plenty of time to go to college and finish. He needs to suck it up and repay his loans monthly. If he does that program he'll be locked in and fukked. Oh and here is the kicker if he does fail out of the school IT VOIDS THAT CONTRACT SO HE COULD INFANTRY AND STILL PAYING HIS LOANS OUT OF POCKET. SMH.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Sounds like he has his shyt together. Why on earth would he need advice from a sports and hip hop internet forum?

Some seasoned posters on here. Any advice or stories cant hurt

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
1. the army is not a regular job. he is now government property. He will get fukked by the system, constantly. Don't get frustrated with it, learn to roll with the punches.

2. Learn the term FRAGGO (fragmentary order). Basically plans change by the minute. Don't expect shyt to happen until it actually happens. He may be told he's getting stationed in Hawaii or some shyt, and the last minute get sent to Korea. Never get your hopes up, odds are you will be let down

3. Take advantage of EVERY BENEFIT they offer. Document every injury/wound/etc. The military is worth it if you take advantage of them as much as they take advantage of you.

4. Never fail a PT test. Its really the number 1 consideration for schools, promotions, leave time, rewards, etc.

5. Don;t get frustrated by the shytbags. They're everywhere. Take care of yourself, do your best to help your buddies, and keep it moving. No amount of bytching or fighting will stop a shytbag from being a shytbag. They arent worth the stress.