Movies that left you thinking or created a lasting impression?

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Can be something off beat, unique or whatever you've seen. Actually, it would have to be something off the beaten track and not the usual smash as they don't go for depth in the mainstream. Basically I want you to recommend a flick with a message, perspective or underlying thinking that changed your mind as it left an impression or inspired real world conversation about the topic.

I'll get it rolling with Mr Nobody (2009):

A childs parents divorce. He has to pick who he lives with and that is the moment his life splinters into different versions of himself as the multiverse effect kicks in.

Don't watch any trailers, read any reviews or spoil anything. If you like to watch films with depth you will definitely enjoy this as it engages your brain not only with its tale but how its told and the implications therein. Very cerebral, philosophical and creates a great impression about the implications of decisions upon our lives.

Next we have....

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
No Country for Old Men.

On the surface, it's a chase movie, a drugs movie, a serial killer movie.

It's more than that, and the movie is at its best in the quiet parts.

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
matrix (ONLY the first one)

it had some strong themes that are applicable to the real world

*edit*

just read the OP…not really a recommendation since it’s popular enough that enough folks have seen it…but for anyone who by some chance hasn’t seen it then you absolutely should watch it

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Usually at least one a month, in theaters, will give me this reaction, that is truly what I go to movies for,

Vanilla Sky, saw as a kid in theaters, and walked outside the strip mall theater in my neighborhood totally in awe of the world and the themes of the movies

Beasts of No Nation: walked out just torn apart and in awe of the movie

Moonlight: one of the more powerful movies I remember seeing

The Florida Project: devastating

Traffic: changed my life, how I saw the world, probably, at age 14. My friends just wanted an action movie, and didn't really like it

O: Seeing this in theaters was a crazy experience at maybe 15 or 14

The Talented Mr. Ripley: maybe even too young to see this kind of violence and sexuality, but this one stayed with me

Unfaithful: remember walking out of this in a daze, stunned by the ending and the movie

Waves: Same way I felt about Moonlight, just an experience that stays with you afterwards

Luce (2019) Haven't seen since, but it was a a raw watch, exploration of race, class, privilege, criminality, morality, social structures, it was brilliant, and I saw it at the premiere

Parasite (2019) same as above

The Last Black Man in San Francisco: hilarious and artistic, heartbreaking, raw and real, I remember choking up at least once.

mid 90's: Think this just brought up a lot of memories about childhood, not skating, but the drugs, sex, the vulnerability of being young, and never realizing how precarious everything is, made me think a lot about sex I remember, and how we are socialized as teenagers.

that's really what good cinema does

Last edited:

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
Lawrence of Arabia...dope character study showing a principled idealist confront, accept, and be forever tormented by his dark side and the choices he made...set during WWI in Syria

cinematography is also incredible...never experienced another movie that transported me to its world and made me feel the vastness of its setting like LoA...

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
The whale. It was the first movie I've seen where I actually needed to step away and process what I just watched. This man basically suffered in silence for years and despite having all sorts of reasons to be angry he chose to see the best in people and exercise patience. That shyt really hurt to see. To watch a man who only wanted to be good to people struggle with his depression.

Women talking. I'm still surprised at how the writer, editors and director of that film managed to pack so much about women's experiences and different lenses of what it means to be a woman and how they see men and each other in less than 2 hours. If that film doesn't make you feel empathy for women you actually might hate them for real.

The man from earth. That movie WILL activate your brain if you have any sort of curiosity about human mortality and what it means to be alive and what one can do in their lifetime as well as if immortality is something people ACTUALLY would want.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Can be something off beat, unique or whatever you've seen. Actually, it would have to be something off the beaten track and not the usual smash as they don't go for depth in the mainstream. Basically I want you to recommend a flick with a message, perspective or underlying thinking that changed your mind as it left an impression or inspired real world conversation about the topic.

I'll get it rolling with Mr Nobody (2009):

A childs parents divorce. He has to pick who he lives with and that is the moment his life splinters into different versions of himself as the multiverse effect kicks in.

Don't watch any trailers, read any reviews or spoil anything. If you like to watch films with depth you will definitely enjoy this as it engages your brain not only with its tale but how its told and the implications therein. Very cerebral, philosophical and creates a great impression about the implications of decisions upon our lives.

Next we have....
The man from earth
MV5BMzQ5NGQwOTUtNWJlZi00ZTFiLWI0ZTEtOGU3MTA2ZGU5OWZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTczNjQwOTY@._V1_.jpg

The Artifice Girl
the-artifice-girl-2022-review.jpg

These movies are low budget, only happen in one or two places, but the dialogue itself drives the story farther than many movies with higher budgets.

Now that I think about, I enjoy these types of movies. :patrice: Anyone know of more like these? :patrice:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
About to post a fairly c*nty sounding list here lol
  • Good Will Hunting - I've always seen a bit of myself in Will Hunting. Not that I am a mathematical genius. But I feel like I can very much relate to a lot of the struggles he deals with, particularly with the whole trust and potential things. Let's just say I have multiple college degrees and have been working in positions far below, some pretty fukking significantly below, what I am qualified for when I finished college 13 years ago...
  • The Farewell
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse - I'm getting a bit liberal with the use of the term movie here though
  • Cha Cha Real Smooth/shythouse
  • Bubble
  • Minari
  • The Fountain
  • Her
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Lost in Translation
  • Marriage Story
  • Arrival
  • Various LGBTQ+ movies, like - Moonlight, A Secret Love, Call Me by Your Name, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Blue is the Warmest Color. Don't want to make this some sort of morality discussion so please fukk off with that.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Synecdoche, New York
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
La Haine
Chungking Express
Aftersun
Lost in Translation
Punch-Drunk Love
Burning
Arrival
Ratatouille
Perfect Blue

Them shyts stay with me. :mjcry:
AfterSun fukked me up in a sentiemntal, depressed and nostalgic way and i couldnt grasp my feelings correctly, the film was briliant and well made!
The Father was tremendous and his inner depression was just feeing off the audience, great display by the director and actor.