Morris From America (2016) Trailer

dvdjamm

All Star
Daps
Reppin
California

The southwestern region of Germany is known more for its baroque architecture and breathtaking landscapes than for its contributions to hip-hop culture. But, however unlikely, Heidelberg is the setting of Morris From America, a dramedy about a black American teenager who’s struggling to break into the rap scene while weathering the doldrums of life amongst the predominantly white Europeans. 16-year-old Markees Christmas stars as Morris From America’s eponymous would-be music sensation, who gets dragged across the globe by his widowed dad—The Office’s Craig Robinson, oozing paternal charisma—for a soccer coaching job. Carla Juri (Wetlands) and newcomer Lina Keller co-star as Morris’ German tutor and the object of his infatuation, respectively.

After seeing the film at Sundance in January, The A.V. Club’s A.A. Dowd described it as “a sweet if highly conventional addition to that most Sundance-approved of genres, the coming-of-age story.” Writer-director Chad Hartigan says that his follow-up to the 2013 festival favorite This Is Martin Bonner began its life as a pseudo-autobiographical account of his experiences as the son of an Irish dad and American mom growing up in Cyprus, before he purposefully pushed it away from his own life story. “I didn’t want just to make an autobiographical film,” he told CW Atlanta recently, “but I wanted to use those elements to tell someone else’s story.”

Morris From America will hit movie screens August 19.

morris_poster_web.jpg

Last edited:

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
just saw the preview, this movie looks really good.

love me some coming of age movies centered around rap/hip hop

the wackness one of my all time favs

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Overall disappointed. Maybe my hope was too high. The kid is fine. He has the personality. Craig Robinson character is interesting but they don't really develop him enough. Race is obviously a factor but they they don't make it too serious. Though the stereotypes about "Americans" aka Black people abound. If you're bothered by that don't even waste your time. I'm sure Tariq Nasheed would have a field day with "Rey!!!" at some parts. To me, I'd just wait for Netflix. The ending is fairly predictable. The humor is fine though

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Overall disappointed. Maybe my hope was too high. The kid is fine. He has the personality. Craig Robinson character is interesting but they don't really develop him enough. Race is obviously a factor but they they don't make it too serious. Though the stereotypes about "Americans" aka Black people abound. If you're bothered by that don't even waste your time. I'm sure Tariq Nasheed would have a field day with "Rey!!!" at some parts. To me, I'd just wait for Netflix. The ending is fairly predictable. The humor is fine though

Yeah I feel you on a lot of your points. It was fine, but it didn't really go anywhere other than "little boy falls in love with slightly older girl who isn't good for him".

Around the time he went to the museum/castle I was thinking "Oh is he gonna wonder around Germany and discover shyt etc." and the place he went looked incredible, then it went left and I was bored for quite a lot of the end.

It coulda delved deeper into some race shyt, but didn't, coulda delved deeper into his father and his life, but didn't.

I think it was held back a little by his age. Instead of being 13 he was 15/16 it coulda been a lot deeper as a movie.