Morgan Wallen should be forgiven for racial slur controversy, Darius Rucker says

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Darius Rucker thinks Morgan Wallen deserves forgiveness three years after his racial slur controversy.

In an interview with "Rolling Stone Music Now" published Tuesday, Rucker said Wallen's changed since the February 2021 incident when TMZ posted a video taken by one of Wallen's neighbors in front of the singer's Nashville home.

"I think Morgan's become a better person since that," Rucker said of the video, which included Wallen telling someone to "take care of this (expletive) N-word," while being dropped off. Rucker, the former Hootie & The Blowfish frontman, is Black.

Despite being one of the most commercially successful country music artists over the past decade, Rucker pointed out that Wallen has not received trophies in the award circuit, including major snubs at the ACMs and CMAs as well as the Grammy Awards.

"I've known Morgan a long time. Since all that happened Morgan's tried to really better himself and become a better person and see the world in a much better, better way. And you know, he's not forgiven," Rucker said.

Rucker continued: "He's still not out for CMAs and ACMs. They can say what they want, but the fact that Morgan Wallen is not up for entertainer of the year and those things is crazy. No one's selling more tickets than Morgan."

Later, in July 2021, the country star sat down for an exclusive interview with Michael Strahan on "Good Morning America" to discuss his removal from radio stations, awards show ballots and streaming playlists.

"I think I was just ignorant about it," Wallen said of his use of the slur. "I don't think I sat down and was, like, 'Hey, is this right or is this wrong?'"

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
When you fukk up, you don't nor shouldn't get to dictate the terms and tell people when they should get over something that you did.
That's just how the world works and forgiveness isn't an obligation even if you're tired of hearing of what you did.

He hasn't done himself any favors over the years as he's still a drunk and literally got arrested a few months ago because of it.

Now from a country music perspective, Darius Rucker is totally correct and a lot of the awards won at those shows these past few years should have been is. But again, everyone is obligated to forgive you for when you fukk up.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Uncle Rucker ass...:rudy:
Darius has a very interesting story and faced a lot of hate as a performer. He lived like he was from another era facing open racism for the music he chose to make. He might appear unaware but he isn't which is why him going all Samuel in Django is sad. Like he should have known how this would look.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
He’s doing songs with rappers.. seems he was already forgiven :yeshrug:
Commercial yes, critically no hence what Rucker is talking about. He doesn't get nominated at the country music award shows or even get asked to perform. It's rather glaring considering some of the nominees in the categories he should be in.

Even in the case of The Voice, they don't ask him to show up eventhough he's arguably the biggest success from the show.

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV
All I know from what I hear of him is musically he's Drake and Taylor all in one in his own genre. Super vanilla guy afraid of doing anything daring since that shyt. Owns the country charts from top to bottom.

It wasn't THAT bad, it was hick white boy who listened to way too much 50 and Ludacris in 2003 energy. Think its funny that Durk really really aligned himself with Morgan and it has to be genuine because Durk has a lane and isn't really gonna crossover, and Wallen was already sorta being forgiven and that shyt being forgotten about, he just had to take his timeout because Nashville was trying to distant itself from that J6 stuff, similar as to all of us getting those emails from Amazon, Netflix, and Bath and Body Works telling us how much black lives matter and that we really love all you guys, please don't stop spending money with us.

Just seems like a dumb white boy with some casual country fried racist elements not unlike most white people. Some dudes just do better hiding in the shadows like Mark Wahlberg and Rick Rubin. But yeah, he wasn't ever getting cancelled even if he deserved some actual punishment and not just getting shyt talked by liberals on TikTok and Twitter.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
All I know from what I hear of him is musically he's Drake and Taylor all in one in his own genre. Super vanilla guy afraid of doing anything daring since that shyt. Owns the country charts from top to bottom.

It wasn't THAT bad, it was hick white boy who listened to way too much 50 and Ludacris in 2003 energy. Think its funny that Durk really really aligned himself with Morgan and it has to be genuine because Durk has a lane and isn't really gonna crossover, and Wallen was already sorta being forgiven and that shyt being forgotten about, he just had to take his timeout because Nashville was trying to distant itself from that J6 stuff, similar as to all of us getting those emails from Amazon, Netflix, and Bath and Body Works telling us how much black lives matter and that we really love all you guys, please don't stop spending money with us.

Just seems like a dumb white boy with some casual country fried racist elements not unlike most white people. Some dudes just do better hiding in the shadows like Mark Wahlberg and Rick Rubin. But yeah, he wasn't ever getting cancelled even if he deserved some actual punishment and not just getting shyt talked by liberals on TikTok and Twitter.
You a c00n

You should be ashamed

Up here nearly giggling and defending dude

Last edited:

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any of these other country artists ever took up for Darius?