Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*Announcement in August 2023

2024 MLB game is coming to Rickwood Field in Birmingham

2024 MLB game is coming to Rickwood Field in Birmingham

MLB at RICKWOOD FIELD​

Rickwood Field, the oldest professional ballpark in the United States and former home of the Birmingham Black Barons of the Negro Leagues, will be the site of a special Regular Season contest between the St. Louis Cardinals and San Francisco Giants on June 20, 2024.

wexit2ebeqhla9igoihx.png

The Birmingham Black Barons of the Negro Leagues called Rickwood Field home from 1924 through 1960. As a teenager, Willie Mays began his professional career with the Black Barons in 1948. He played with them before beginning his legendary MLB career as a member of the New York Giants in 1951. Rickwood Field was the site of the final Negro League World Series game in October 1948, which saw Mays’ Black Barons falling to the Homestead Grays in five games.

MiLB at RICKWOOD FIELD

j4t7b9wxiwkudg4qmvii.png

Montgomery Biscuits vs. Birmingham Barons
A special Minor League Baseball contest, the first such event at Rickwood Field since the last “Rickwood Classic” in 2019, will feature the Montgomery Biscuits and the Birmingham Barons on Tuesday, June 18. The teams will honor the legacy of the Negro Leagues by playing as the Montgomery Grey Sox and Birmingham Black Barons

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
June 17, 2024

" Rickwood Field? I knew about it as a kid,” Mays said in a statement. “It was always there. As common as a church or a school or a movie theater. I grew up with Rickwood ‘around the corner there,’ meaning nearby and within reach. The majors? I didn’t dream about the impossible. I was taught to see your goal in your mind and work toward it. I could work toward getting to Rickwood Field and the Birmingham Black Barons. I didn’t need to dream for that. For that, I needed to work hard. So, I did. Rickwood became my training ground. My start. My first job. When things changed in ’47 with Jackie (Robinson) coming in? Well, then I started to dream big. You never forget your firsts. Rickwood Field is where I played my first home game. Rickwood Field is still here. So am I. How about that?

“I’m not able to get to Birmingham this year but will follow the game back here in the Bay Area. My heart will be with all of you who are honoring the Negro League ballplayers, who should always be remembered, including all my teammates on the Black Barons. I wanted to thank Major League Baseball, the Giants, the Cardinals and all the fans who’ll be at Rickwood or watching the game. It’ll be a special day, and I hope the kids will enjoy it and be inspired by it.
“I understand seven Willie Mays Scholars will be going to Birmingham and that a lot of kids from the Birmingham area were invited to the game including from the local Boys & Girls Clubs. I’m glad they can participate in this piece of American history and learn about our game and all that surrounds it. I learned about baseball and life from my father and my Birmingham teammates including my manager Piper Davis along with Bill Greason, Artie Wilson, Jimmy Zapp and so many others who looked out for me. I couldn’t have accomplished what I did without those guys. They were good ballplayers and good people.
“Thanks again to everyone who’ll experience and embrace Rickwood Field. Enjoy the game.”