Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

FAITH GILLEZEAU

Her instructor

Moko Jumbies resuscitated

0aca79_2babaa601b484cb18f232810524bee0f~mv2.jpg

“I’m grateful to Dragon for introducing me to the art, moko jumbies. He gave me the recipe to build the stilts and walk on them,” stated T&T-born and bred southerner, moko jumbie maker and director, Junior Bisnath.

Long-standing resident of west Trinidad, Dragon–Glen de Souza– founded his Moko Jumbie School of Art and Culture, Keylemanjahro, in 1986 where it still operates, in Cocorite, and is noted as being the initiator of the meaningful era and purposeful use of moko jumbies in Trinidad.

In 1997, de Souza met one, Hollis Clifton of San Fernando upon the advice of the Ministry of Culture following Clifton’s request to have Keylemanjahro visit South and educate about moko jumbies, and via a one-day workshop, Bisnath and Clifton formed their own moko jumbie group, Kaisokah upon the vision of Clifton, said Bisnath.

Also known as stilt walkers or dancers, moko jumbies said to have derived from a combined representation of Central African healers or Moko, and West Indian term for a mythological spirit or ghost, jumbie, with the belief that moko jumbies originated from West African tradition brought to the Caribbean.

The moko jumbie is said to be a god that watches over the village owing to his towering height that affords him to easily foresee evil and danger.

They are require strong athleticism, healthy skeletal frame and good balance, Bisnath apprised

Last edited:

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Just want to point out this isn’t a Trini thing alone

It’s cool other people can see the culture but I can also see people being mad this is how and who is showing it