Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Middletown, Ohio, a city under siege: “Everyone I know is on heroin”

Emily de La Bruyère
Yahoo NewsAugust 2, 2017

The opioid epidemic is a national crisis. But what does that mean? To answer that, Yahoo News traveled to Middletown, Ohio — a city once considered as ordinary as its name, more recently known for an explosion in opioid use — and explored quantitative research about drugs, health care, and national public opinion. This is a problem so serious that it requires big data, so human that it needs a face. Here is what we found:

20269c85fb7c964fc5f364388bbc6c0c

Jack Barrett, a recovering heroin addict, attends group therapy at Groups in Middletown, Ohio. He credits this treatment center with saving his life. (Photograph by Mary F. Calvert for Yahoo News)
For 16 of his 36 years, Jack Barrett has been a heroin addict. Today, he sits casually in a white plastic chair at Groups, the treatment center that he credits with saving his life. That was after he finally sought help for the first time —after overdosing, and being revived with Narcan, eight times in seven days. He says that the problem was fentanyl, a synthetic opioid some 40 times more potent than heroin: “It’s not just heroin anymore.” How did he start using? “How does anyone start? I don’t know.” It’s his first time getting help that sticks in his memory.

Groups lies off Main Street and Central Avenue in Middletown, Ohio — a city of 49,000 that the Butler County prosecutor calls the “buckle of Middle America,” the Butler County sheriff calls “the Heartland” and many people here seem to call “home, unfortunately.” Far from making him stand out, in Middletown Jack’s addiction signifies his belonging. “If you’re young here,” he explains, “people just assume you’re on heroin.”

Middletown, Ohio, a city under siege: “Everyone I know is on heroin”