[MGS2] Probably still one of the most relevant scene in gaming

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew

:whoa: this is something that should be passed around, Its sad how predictable the information age really is. how even in 2001 it was obvious where the world was headed. Memes dumbing down the masses through oversaturating the internet with unneeded information. constant echo chambers and safe havens of people who spout the same delusions over and over between eachother until it becomes reality,

"And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper" :russell:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

:whoa: this is something that should be passed around, Its sad how predictable the information age really is. how even in 2001 it was obvious where the world was headed. Memes dumbing down the masses through oversaturating the internet with unneeded information. constant echo chambers and safe havens of people who spout the same delusions over and over between eachother until it becomes reality,

Much of the echo chamber type stuff was always going on. The Internet simply expanded it and put it on public display. Before the Internet do you think most people didn't stay in social circles of like-minded people? Memes were actual fads people acted out.

I think the social commentary in the original Bioshock is stronger that most people are slaves following orders but believe themselves to be free. That freedom is an illusion because most people in our society don't have the luxury of not following orders even when this fact is pointed out to them.

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
Much of the echo chamber type stuff was always going on. The Internet simply expanded it and put it on public display. Before the Internet do you think most people didn't stay in social circles of like-minded people? Memes were actual fads people acted out.

I think the social commentary in the original Bioshock is stronger that most people are slaves following orders but believe themselves to be free. That freedom is an illusion because most people in our society don't have the luxury of not following orders even when this fact is pointed out to them.
never played Bioshock, didnt have a 360.

anyway as for circles before the internet as we know it, I think of Use-net. one of the early internet BBS boards from the 90s. it was a shythole to say the least. if you think 4-chans /pol/ is bad? wait til you see some of the old ass use-net stuff.

there was always an old saying "birds of a feather flock together" which has rung true for generations. so I dont doubt that before the digital age there were echo chambers

as for memes, look up "the selfish gene" from 1976 by Richard Dawkins. he first created the term memetics which soon devolved in to the word memes.

I think one of the most well known memes of my time was the Macarena. yes, I embarrassingly did it while watching others do it on TV back in the 90s, no I have no regrets. it was a song about some puta anyway. :manny:

:blessed:I loved growing up in the late 90s. we had the best cartoons and none of that no child left behind bullshyt

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave

amazing video can't believe this was in a video game

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
MGS2 was definitely the most philosophical game in the series,
probably the most philosophical game of all time

''the digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of half-truths. Just look at the juxtapositions of morality around you."

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Game was a huge let down after the first MGS, but the last 5 hours or so of that game is straight troll mastery by Kojima.

YvrzTrvly

All Star
Daps
Game was a huge let down after the first MGS, but the last 5 hours or so of that game is straight troll mastery by Kojima.

Cmon man the map design itself was out of this world. Compare that to four, which i liked as well which was almost linear.

Big shell was a maze that was very difficult to navigate if you werent paying attention.

The bomb hunt on the hardest difficulty :whoo:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Cmon man the map design itself was out of this world. Compare that to four, which i liked as well which was almost linear.

Big shell was a maze that was very difficult to navigate if you werent paying attention.

The bomb hunt on the hardest difficulty :whoo:
It's not a bad game, it's just that MGS1 was a huge step forward in gaming and this just did not capture that magic completely.

It's a memorable game in it's own right for what it did, but the gameplay wasn't that tight and if you did not appreciate the trolling near the end the game felt flat to people. It's often considered the worst in the series for a reason.

Although I personally feel like MGS4 is the worst, but I have already made my bulletproof case for that one.