Methodman and Redman get a cold reception at summer jam. MethodMan says he’ll never perform there again cause of generation gap.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I hate when ppl say hip hop is for the youth. In its infancy it obviously was, but now you got a few generations in this thing. The older generation of rappers have made legit careers out of hip-hop. There were not 40 yr old rappers in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. But now there are so the culture needs to shift away from that hip-hop being for the youth, it's not anymore.
Mainstream rap is definitely for the youth. They decide what’s popular.

This isn’t exclusive to rap. It’s all of pop culture

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
That’s just hip hop. It’s a young man’s game. They had their time in the sun but for young fans they are old and not the cool old like Jay-z. It is what it is. The smart ones accept it and stay in their lane :yeshrug:
Jay z is not cool old, he’s just old

Future is cool old
Agreed. We have R&B artists of today like SiR, Don Tolliver, Bryson Tiller, October London etc. Problem is the genre is just dead and what's hot among black youth is decided almost entirely by the machine.

Kids not revisiting anything "classic" unless somebody makes the song the background to a trending meme on TikTok like how "Sure Thing" by Miguel had that resurgence a couple years ago
Male R&B is a dead genre and it’s been dead for a while

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
SY980.gif

@Robo Squirrel

Dap + Reputation :pachaha:
!!!!

Red Money

All Star
Daps
I don't know who came up with that lineup but as soon as I saw it I was like how do Meth & Red fit in here?:dahell:

Hip hop has kept us younger though. Meth & Red both came out over 31 years ago. This wouldn't have even been possible when they came out because 30 years before them hip hop didn't even exist.

If we compared it to R&B at the time, that would have been like having a concert featuring Jodeci, Shai, 112, Jagged Edge and...The Temptations?:wtf:

Good points....but

In the 90s I grew up watching reruns of Andy Griffith and that was 1950s stuff....and Good Times reruns and Jeffersons reruns....and still watched Fresh Prince, Martin, Family Matters, Boy meets world etc.

They were all equal celebrities then and to me to this day. Jimmie Walker and George Jefferson are Equal to Carl Winslow and Will Smith. Opie was up there with Corey Matthews. A good show was a good show.

Point is It seems like Movies and TV don't have the same shelf life as music. Yet most movies & shows are time/decade specific as well.

Last edited:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Damn Da Rocwilder got zero pop wow, it's a shame but it's also a 20 yo song. Can't expect the new gen to vibe to it.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Jay z is not cool old, he’s just old

Future is cool old

Male R&B is a dead genre and it’s been dead for a while
Crim watch yo mouth. U my guy, but u know goddamn well if Jay was there the crowd would go crazy. If jay was on the bill we would had a 30 page thread about it

jay is ageless

he the one

lol

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Show me a genre where old acts still perform well in the mainstream

Rap old heads have the same lane as all other genres
The problem word here "mainstream"

Pop & Rap are the only genres making up mainstream, with rap being practically pop in & of itself. What's sold in the mainstream is mainly image & stardom , not music. so of course that lends itself to young people.

Taking mainstream out of it Jazz is jazz regardless of age, classic rockers are doing much better than any current day bands etc.

Daps
Ah yes
They’ll never understand the scholars that are Redman & Method Man :mjlol:
compared to what passes for rap today? from the illiterate mumble rappers that kids listen to nowadays?

yes. go and actually listen to redman or meth’s albums from their peak.

there’s always someone trying to defend this dusty, LOW IQ, section 8 illiterate gibberish that passes for rap.

:francis: