Menace II Society: Did Caine actually have an epiphany and evolve past street sh1t before he died?

Boyz N the Hood vs Menace II Society?

• Boyz N the Hood

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Menace II Society

Votes: 49 76.6%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
I remember as a kid preferring Menace over Boyz N The Hood simply because it seemed Menace was more lit because it had more violence, cursing and street sh1t.

But looking back on it I'm not sure if Caine actually learned any lessons at all. He just did a lot of dumb sh1t and then got killed.

:patrice:

And all this took place after the opening scene where O dog shot the Chinese store owners

The overall ending and message in Boyz N the Hood was 10x better (Which is be a father to your child and the morals and wisdom you teach him will stick with him forever and help rise above the bullsh1t)

its also ironic that Pac was fired from this film when the ending pretty much ended the same way Pac's real life did (getting killed after stomping some breh out)

and imo Shareefs death was more tragic, cause he was actually a good dude who didn't do dirt, killed for simply being affiliated with dudes that did. :snoop:

Still a hood classic but its no way in hell a better film than Boyz N The Hood

Furious was dropping gems throughout, Lawrence Fishburne should have won an Oscar

Last edited:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
And boys in the hood felt too long
Don't know the length but it felt like it could have been edited better.

Daps
Reppin
Well wouldn't him leaving show that he was changing?
nah, he probably woulda just did the same sh1t somewhere else and became top goon in the boondocks

:mjpls:

props for saving that lil kid tho, but the kid wouldn't have even been in the scenario if he wasn't around acting like a fool

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
nikka Boyz N The Hood can’t compare to the greates movie of all time. Shareef pops dropped more gems in one scene than Tre dad did the whole movie.

That nikka Tre was a bytch, so how good of a father was that nikka Laurence Fishburn? This bytch nikka crying to get p*ssy acting all soft and shyt. Went on a mission with the homies knowing damn well he wasn’t bout that shyt then told nikkas to let him out in the middle of the fukking mission. Should have shot his bytch ass for playing. His daddy raised a hoe. nikka lied to his dad about getting p*ssy.

Menace was real. Who knows if Caine had turned all the way around. Probably not. He had enough sense to go to Atlanta and try to get away but that nikka was young and p*ssy whipped like my nikka O Dog said so that was a part of it. He still was a G. I could see that nikka going to Atlanta and getting on some street shyt. Think this nikka was gon work at McDonalds:mjlol: Just like it he would have went to Kansas with Stacy and Shareef. He probably would had a trap booming out that bytch. But Menace was realistic. nikkas don’t change overnight. It showed you life is fukked up. The harsh realities of the hood. How O Dog was still standing out of everybody? Boyz N the Hood on the other hand had the lil Ricky shyt but that movie don’t deserved to be mentioned with Menace. Menace should have won the Oscar but they don’t wanna recognize greatness

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Boyz N the Hood had a much better message than Menace, but that doesn’t automatically make it a better movie.

Menace wasn’t really trying to be preached and didactic. Sometimes people get caught in too much fukkery and die. The end. Menace reflects that pretty well. Whether you think that makes it a better or worse film than Boyz depends on what you enjoy from a film. As far as a nihilistic, gritty reflection of the hood I think Menace is better but Boyz works for me more as a dramatic film with life lessons . Really depends on what mood I’m in regarding which one I like more

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
Real talk both of them movies though had a somewhats good message, none of it sank with the youngster. Both of them movies glamorize the gangster life. Got young black kids idolizing o-dog and doughboy if anything.

as a kid preferring Menace over Boyz N The Hood simply because it seemed Menace was more lit because it had more violence, cursing and street sh1t.

Proof.

Daps
Reppin
Naw breh was gonna go to Atlanta and get with the wrong crowd. Only difference is he probably wouldn't have been killed. Maybe do some time.
Jada probably ended up stripping at Magic City to support her son

I'm assuming they postponed all that sh1t and didn't leave until after Caine and Shareef's funerals tho

Caine's seed he had with that thot grew up to be a top goon, his Unc' never got arrested and he never found out that he killed his real pops. Let your opps raise ur seed brehs

Lil dude never even met his Unc' O-dog cause he was sent up for a life sentence like his character in Dead Presidents

:mjcry:

Daps
These two are often compared when they seem to be tackling two completely different aspects of the young black man’s plight. Boyz was more of a cautionary tale and showing that there are people who care and trying to do the right thing with their children despite sometime seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

Where as Menace is illustrating where do the hopeless come from? When you’re facing an upbringing as Caine did how can you do better? That life was literally all he knew from damn near birth. Yea his homeboy would drop knowledge but Caine’s mind was so engulfed, none of that registered. Did he have an epiphany, yes and a big one for him. Sadly it was only to believe his life was worth living. Menace shows how the O Dogs, Doughboys and most of the other killers get that way

Both movies are must owns.

Real talk both of them movies though had a somewhats good message, none of it sank with the youngster. Both of them movies glamorize the gangster life. Got young black kids idolizing o-dog and doughboy if anything.

Proof.