Mayor of Kingstown (By Taylor Sheridan on Paramount+) SEASON 3 OUT NOW

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Anybody checking for this? It's a series created by Taylor Sheridan on Paramount+. I wasn't sure how I felt about it after the first couple of episodes, but this shyt gets more intense with each episode. I'm digging it :whoo:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
When you read the synopsis - Oscar winners Jeremy Renner and Dianne Wiest in a crime drama set in a grim Michigan town dominated by the private-prison industry – you might imagine this to be a near-documentary drama like the excellent Dopesick (Disney+).

Mitch and Mike McLusky (Kyle Chandler and Jeremy Renner) wear smart suits and ties, but neither is the actual mayor of the town - they’re criminal fixers.
Mitch and Mike McLusky (Kyle Chandler and Jeremy Renner) wear smart suits and ties, but neither is the actual mayor of the town - they’re criminal fixers. PARAMOUNT+

In Dopesick Michael Keaton, Peter Sarsgaard and Kaitlyn Dever top the billing in a fairly forensic primer on America’s opioid crisis and the breathtaking corporate malfeasance that caused it. In Mayor of Kingstown, though, the private-prison thing is more a backdrop to a squalid small-town mafia story. Which makes sense when you realise it was created by Taylor Sheridan – creator of the wildly popular Yellowstone (Stan) – and Yellowstone actor Hugh Dillon.

McLusky brothers Mike and Mitch (Renner and Kyle Chandler) wear smart suits and ties, but neither is the actual mayor of the town – they’re criminal fixers who make their living doing whatever needs to be done to keep the peace between corrupt prison guards, violent inmates, murderous police and murderous street gangs. The modest size of the McLuskys’ endeavour is apparent from the opening, in which Mike pays a neighbourhood kid to hit a drug-laden tennis ball over the wall into one of the seven private prisons in a 15-kilometre radius.

Dianne Wiest plays Miriam, who teaches America’s horrendous history to the women in one of the prisons.
Dianne Wiest plays Miriam, who teaches America’s horrendous history to the women in one of the prisons. PARAMOUNT+

And when Mitch gets a visit from a stripper married to an incarcerated armed robber named Milo (Game of Thrones′ Aiden Gillen), both he and Mike have to hop to it, go out into the woods at night and dig up Milo’s share of the proceeds from a deadly heist. Their mother, Miriam (the barely used Wiest), who teaches America’s horrendous history to the women in one of the prisons, clearly has very strong feelings about her sons – but what those feelings remain a mystery until Wiest gets a rare meaty scene in the second episode.

Little brother Kyle (Taylor Handley), a local cop, aims to get out of town by joining the state police, but he’s entwined with his brothers and their cronies, who have a volatile relationship with a volatile gang boss (Tobi Bamtefa). Sheridan is in his element when it comes to creating male characters with a tendency towards sudden, shocking violence. Subtlety is not his forte – but, even so, his concerns about private prisons are likely to slide past most of the red-state viewers lapping up the reactionary fantasy of Yellowstone. Worth a l

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I have a firestick, is paramount+ free on it?
EVERYTHING is free on fire stick! I haven't had a cable bill (except for internet) or subscription service in years. I don't think we can post certain links in here, but there are apps you can add to your fire stick that will give you all of that content for free.