Maxing my APFT/needs running advice

EARFQUAKE

šŸ„°
Supporter
Daps
I am aiming for a 300 score on my APFT. The highest I've scored was a 298. I can easily max out push ups and sit ups but my run always hinders me.

I have flat feet and my running shoes are 4+ years old, I plan on buying new ones today but I've thrown out the last three pair because I wasn't comfortable.

For those of you not familiar with the APFT, I have to run two miles in 15:36

I don't really have any good running plans, I just go out and do it whenever I feel like it but I'm stagnant.

What are some tips to get a faster run time
:feedme:

lespaulultra3

All Star
Daps
I struggled with this last year getting prepared for a test and here is what helped me:

- Stop drinking and drink more water! Nothing else needs to be said about that.

- Run consistently. Aim for running 3-4 times per week. Even if it's a slow jog where you go 3-4 mph. Just stay on the track as much as possible so you can be comfortable.

-Start Sprinting. Sprinting probably helped me the most. A former marine gave me this advice. What I do is start with a stretch followed by a half mile slow jog. That's just to get the blood circulating. Then set a fixed point ahead of where ever you are at. Sprint to that point as fast as you can, like you're running from the police. Stop, walk back to where you started, rest another 15 seconds, and do it again. My sprints were about 10 seconds long and I try to do it 8-10 times per session. The first time I did it, I felt like I couldn't walk the next few days after. My legs were in so much pain. When I was finally able to run comfortably again, my times were considerably better. After you do it a few times, you shouldn't feel pain afterwards. I only sprint like that now once per week and I'm sure you will have a faster time if you follow this.

EARFQUAKE

šŸ„°
Supporter
Daps
I struggled with this last year getting prepared for a test and here is what helped me:

- Stop drinking and drink more water! Nothing else needs to be said about that.

- Run consistently. Aim for running 3-4 times per week. Even if it's a slow jog where you go 3-4 mph. Just stay on the track as much as possible so you can be comfortable.

-Start Sprinting. Sprinting probably helped me the most. A former marine gave me this advice. What I do is start with a stretch followed by a half mile slow jog. That's just to get the blood circulating. Then set a fixed point ahead of where ever you are at. Sprint to that point as fast as you can, like you're running from the police. Stop, walk back to where you started, rest another 15 seconds, and do it again. My sprints were about 10 seconds long and I try to do it 8-10 times per session. The first time I did it, I felt like I couldn't walk the next few days after. My legs were in so much pain. When I was finally able to run comfortably again, my times were considerably better. After you do it a few times, you shouldn't feel pain afterwards. I only sprint like that now once per week and I'm sure you will have a faster time if you follow this.

Did you change up your eating habits at all? I don't drink and I don't gain weight but I have bad eating habits.

lespaulultra3

All Star
Daps
Did you change up your eating habits at all? I don't drink and I don't gain weight but I have bad eating habits.

Yea man you need to eat clean. I don't know how bad your eating habits are now but depending on how much time you have to get prepared for the test, you can either go cold turkey on the bad eating or do it slowly. My wife already ate healthy and fasts multiple times per year so it wasn't hard for me to get started. The book that changed everything for me was the one by JJ Smith called the 10 day smoothie cleanse. You can find it on Amazon for around 10 bucks and she claimed that you could lose 10-15 pounds by following the 10 day cleanse. I started doing it but I've never been able to do the full 10 days since it's pretty hard. I still lost 7 pounds on it and now I have 1-3 smoothies per day since their easy to make and inexpensive. Just try to eat clean 5-6 days per week if you can. Remember, the only person standing in your way is you. If you have to cut off friends that eat shytty or drink a bunch of alcohol, so be it. I had to cut off friends that ate bad and drunk too much because when we hung out, I was too tempted to indulge. You can do it and remember if you don't pass the test, there will be nobody to blame but yourself. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to put in the work.

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
Yeah keep running and make sure you got good form...

And if your gonna push yaself, ya stretch game gotta be on par..

I got a case of that itbs...shyt crept up on me 33 minutes into my run...:francis: