Master P Talks Patti Pies

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I know what P said without clicking the video. He's told a version of this story in interviews before.

As written in a profile in Forbes, this is how Ms. Labelle's busineses operate.
  • In 2008, at 64, Patti LaBelle founded comfort food brand Patti's Good Life. She launched with a line of hot sauces and has since expanded into a best-selling line of desserts (sweet potato pie and peach cobbler), frozen meals (chicken and biscuits and mac-n-cheese) and frozen breakfast foods. All the recipes are of LaBelle's own creation.
  • LaBelle's business is a royalty deal, meaning she pays a factory to produce the recipes and then sells them to America's largest grocers, including Target and Walmart—the latter of which accounted for $85 million in gross sales last year.
  • At the end of the day, Patti's Good Life pockets about 10%, or $20 million in revenue last year. LaBelle and her son own 100% of the company.
  • In 2018, at 74, she launched a consulting firm, ZPAC, to help BIPOC- and women-owned food businesses get onto the shelves of big box retailers.
I don't think he had to use Labelle's case to make his point, but in these entrepreneur seminars I guess he felt that would make the biggest impression on the attendees.

Since I see the Rap Snacks package below P in the screenshot, let's use that company owner as a better example. Coincidentally, also from Philly

If you compare the 2, you'll see that the Rap Snacks owner started off using an existing manufacturer to produce his products and he did the leg work (himself) to get local and then regional distribution. Eventually, producing the products himself, and venturing into distribution himself.

Ms Labelle & son have leveraged her name and celebrity to launch brand, and have existing company produce and distribute the products.
If she was younger, and a full time entrepreneur maybe it would make sense for her company to cut out the middle man and purchase equipment to produce items themselves. With her expanding the product line and continuing to sell, the terms of the agreement might change when their current deal expires.

Hater Eraser

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That California Lifestyle ...
I think thats side money for Patti ... I dont think she trying to work that hard and retired ..

full
McCorn on the cob

But yea ..

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yeah, so I respect Master P, but dont like him using Patti Labelle's name in his beef against Walmart.

Full segment of Master P's seminar about this topic in spoiler

Here is info from the press release for P and Snoop's cereal line
Snoop Dogg and Master P's Broadus Foods and Post Consumer Brands are partnering on a new release: a collection of three new varieties of the hip-hop legends' Snoop Cereal

Broadus Foods will handle marketing and promotion for its Snoop Cereal brand. Post Consumer Brands will produce the cereal, as well as provide research and development, sales and other supply-chain support.

His deal with Post doesn't sound much different than the arrangement that Labelle has. Would like to know what his split is.