Marvel Aiming for Best Picture with ‘Black Panther’ Despite Popular Film Category

Jards

All Star
Daps
Oscars: Marvel Aiming for Best Picture with ‘Black Panther’ Despite Popular Film Category

If you’re still on the fence about the Oscar prospects of Black Panther, it’s time to see the light. The Venice, Telluride, and Toronto film festivals are about to get underway, at which point the key first phase of Oscar season begins. But Marvel Studios and Disney are also ready to pull the trigger on their Oscar campaign for Black Panther in earnest, and they’re aiming for all that gold.

After the film hit theaters in February to rave reviews and massive box office (it’s grossed a whopping $700 million domestic—more than Infinity War), Disney hired veteran Oscar strategist Cynthia Swartz to orchestrate a campaign. That campaign is now very much underway, as evidenced by the fact that Variety’s Kristopher Tapley moderated a Q&A with star Michael B. Jordan and production designer Hannah Beachler just last night. The Oscar odds for Black Panther are not only real, Marvel is breaking new ground in actively campaigning for the film.

Image via Marvel Studios

Indeed, the Los Angeles Times reports that Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige backed the move to give Black Panther an Oscar campaign with a significant awards season budget—a crucial yet often overlooked aspect of how one goes about actually winning an Oscar. This kind of commitment has never been made on any previous Marvel movies, and despite the fact that the Academy has announced a new “Outstanding Popular Film” category, the campaign for Black Panther is aiming for the top prize: Best Picture:

“I would like to see the hard work and the effort and the vision and the belief of the talented filmmaker Ryan Coogler, who sat across the table from us a few years ago and said, ‘I have been wrestling with questions about my past and my heritage and I think I really want to tell a story within this movie,’ ” Feige said. “And that he did it so unbelievably well and with so much impact … seeing that potentially being recognized is what excites me the most.”

Awards consultants who spoke with the LA Times speculated that it’s possible the Oscars delays the “Best Popular Film” category to next year or scraps it altogether, for fear of it potentially resulting in Black Panther missing out on a Best Picture nomination.

Image via Marvel Studios

And make no mistake, Black Panther is absolutely a frontrunner to land a Best Picture nomination. The film is unlike other recent superhero movies in key ways, especially with regards to Wonder Woman. While Wonder Woman had great reviews and tremendous support, it lacked the eye-popping craftsmanship that is often necessary to vault a blockbuster into Oscar contender status, as with Mad Max: Fury Road or even The Dark Knight. Marvel gave Black Panther a bigger budget than usual and allowed Coogler to select his own behind-the-scenes team, which resulted in stunning work from the aforementioned Beachler, costume designer Ruth E. Carter, hair and makeup designers Camille Friend and Joel Harlow, and cinematographer Rachel Morrison who became the first woman nominated for Best Cinematography for Mudbound last year. Some or all of these folks could very much find themselves nominated for their work on the film come January.

Below-the-line nominations are key for Best Picture contenders of a big budget variety, and part of Marvel’s strategy here is to pick those up for Black Panther, boosting its support in the various Academy branches and thereby increasing its Best Picture chances.

Fegie is hopeful that the hard work that went into making Black Panther a reality will be paid off:

“I think it would be wonderful,” he says of a potential nomination in the Oscars’ top category. “The people behind the camera, the people on screen that acted in the movie, any of them being recognized would bring us great joy because they did tremendous work. And it’s always nice when tremendous work is recognized.”

Hold on to your butts, folks. Black Panther may not be done making history just yet.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Coogler Best director

MBJ, Andy Serkis up for best supporting

Could sterling K brown win something even though he was in the film for only like 10 minutes. His second appearance was the most powerful scene in the movie.

Do they still do best actress or do they lump everyone together as actor

SEX!!

Fukk Nicole
Supporter
Daps
movie was
giphy.gif

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Ole johnny come lately mofos, looking at infinity war they obviously thought it would be ant-man tier
Imagine if Black Panther had close to Infinity War's budget or at least got those resources. :wow:

Coogler Best director

Could sterling K brown win something even though he was in the film for only like 10 minutes. His second appearance was the most powerful scene in the movie.

Serkis would have needed more screen time and been central to the last act of the plot.

MBJ got a legit shot at being nominated

However, if Sterling K.Brown had another 5 or 10 mins in the film he'd be favorite.:yeshrug: He destroyed that role.

Coogler is not going to get nominated because they are going to blame him for the CGI in the 3rd act. Also after Infinity War you can see they could have made that final battle more exciting. Again maybe they ran outta money :mjpls::manny:

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Coogler Best director

There's no time restraint when it comes to being nominated for an Oscar. William Hurt was nominated for History of Violence and he was in it for 5 minutes if that

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
There's no time restraint when it comes to being nominated for an Oscar. William Hurt was nominated for History of Violence and he was in it for 5 minutes if that
That was one of the GOAT scenes though. :wow:

If that Killmonger/ancestral scene was longer then maybe.

Then again Harry Belafonte is getting Oscar buzz even with limited screen time in Blackkklansman. :yeshrug:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
And why shouldnt they?

Matter fact every film should have that mentality.

Hell Happy Time Murders and the people of that staff should feel like "they" have the best picture too.

No one should feel their movies or the work they've done is inferior or not worthy.:ld:

Martha

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Coogler Best director

:inarritu:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I loved Black Panther. It's not a Best Picture caliber film unless they're nominating the max amount of films. Even then, with Oscar bait season approaching, I doubt it ends up making the cut:yeshrug:

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
If Logan didn't make it then why would BP? The 3rd act probably nullified it for the majority of Oscar voters anyways.

Also the Oscar season films will knock it out of contention

BP will probably get tech noms tho

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I bet less than half of the Oscar season movies are as good as BP. :hhh:
And why we pretending awards aren't heavily influenced by insider politics and 'best' when talking about movies isn't completely subjective. :francis:
Campaign hard Marvel it will probably work. :manny:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Prob Best Adapted Screenplay s it's best shot. Then Best Supporting. Then Costume Design.

It would be a long shot for everything else.