Marriage for black women: the good the bad and the ugly

LadySimone

Banned
Daps
By every conceivable metric marriage is good for black women but a closer look at the data shows that's it's even better for black men and black children.

The children benefit from having two parents in their home. That's two incomes that can be used to provide a better relative lifestyle. Two people who are there to support, guide, admonish and be there to be picked up after soccer practice.

The black man benefits because there is a dual income, the possible equitable division of labor, the support of a larger social network, the reality of being married to a higher earning spouse, and someone to nurture your children and support you as a man.

But in what ways do black women benefit from marriage given some of the attitudes many black men have about marriage and the role of a wife.

Ladies, how often have you heard black men talking about what a woman is bringing to the table? A table that (in his traditional view of marriage and gender) he must have complete control over? We have to clean, cook, look after the kids, be ready for intimacy at a moments notice, and work full time.

We get to say we have a husband but what of the quality of our marriages if ,objectively speaking, we still manage the home and our lives as if we were single mothers?

Queen

CEO of #GPB
Daps
Reppin
Truth and logic
I don't manage my life and my home as if I were a single mother so :manny:

By working as a team, my husband and I are able to accomplish what we want to accomplish. He plays his role, and I play mine. If I am off, he is there to help me. If he is off I am there to help him. His strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa.

#GPB

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
You know... It's beneficial to Black women who marry men that don't have a negative perception of marriage... Companionship enriches your spirit...

Not all men are GMB card carrying members... Some Black men feel like the natural progression of life is to lead a household...

And I never heard a man in real life question what a Black woman brings to the table... Truth be told... I am usually surrounded by equally intelligent and successful Black men so they weren't so pessimistic about a woman's worth

The only thing I noticed about the American Black men in my social circle is that they didn't want to commit... They felt like they were in the "talented tenth" and didn't have to settle down anytime soon... They wanted to continue to play

Ain't nobody have time for that... So I stopped looking in their direction... Real talk

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I don't manage my life and my home as if I were a single mother so :manny:

By working as a team, my husband and I are able to accomplish what we want to accomplish. He plays his role, and I play mine. If I am off, he is there to help me. If he is off I am there to help him. His strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa.

#GPB

I really like you as a poster. Your posts about marriage are honestly inspiring. Someone like you should write a book on marriage for black men/women from a psychological perspective (the psychological benefits).

Queen

CEO of #GPB
Daps
Reppin
Truth and logic
I really like you as a poster. Your posts about marriage are honestly inspiring. Someone like you should write a book on marriage for black men/women from a psychological perspective (the psychological benefits).

:jbhmm:
That may be a possibility...

Thank you for the compliment. I am very serious about marriage and helping people create positive and productive relationships.

Scarface sniffin cocaine

With a pen im extreme
Daps
Reppin
Tampa
Im finding the ladies on here keep it the realest:ohhh:

Everything has already been said in like 3 posts but my personal opinion is our women of color are more important than they sometimes even realize to our survival as men and also to bring some healthy emotions out that we tend to regress..

Michael9100

The Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
houston
You can be stay at home moms if it weren't for the fact that many people are trying to keep up with the joneses...

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
The black man benefits because there is a dual income, the possible equitable division of labor, the support of a larger social network, the reality of being married to a higher earning spouse, and someone to nurture your children and support you as a man.

ROFLMMAO