Mark Cerny talks about 60FPS higher adoption this generation being almost universal rule and departure from previous generation

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

The other thing that has been surprising is the push to 60 frames per second. Based on previous console lifecycles, I would have expected there to be a lot more games that are 30 frames per second only, just because the artwork can be so much more detailed if you have longer time to render it. Instead, the almost universal rule this time around has been the games run at 60.

"It's great from a play perspective. Gamers overwhelmingly prefer games that are higher frame rates. I just didn't expect such a departure from previous generations."

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
We're at the point where graphical gains are marginal improvement compared to smooth gameplay.
Unless it's a drastic leap in graphical fidelity (which I think we will start seeing once AI matures on the computer generated graphics front) gameplay will be king. And 60 fps provides a smoothness that is unmatched compared to 30 fps

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
How is this surprising? They spent a lot of time talking about load times and frame rates before they were ready to officially show the ps5.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
On the other hand in 2020 this is the dude y'all hate talking on what will be important this generation

Phil Spencer wants the Xbox Series X to feel as good as it looks. Speaking with Stevivor, the Xbox head said he'd prefer to play games that have higher frame rates over those with a larger resolution

Spencer said one of the most defining characteristics of next-gen games will be how they "feel" with faster and more stable frame rates.

Even though both the Xbox Series X and the PS5 are promising 8K resolutions, Spencer has a very clear preference in the battle of pixels over frame rate. "The feel of games [is] definitely something that we wanted to have more focus on, not just throwing more pixels up on the screen," Spencer says. Ultimately, it is up to individual developers to determine how they leverage the power and speed of Xbox Series X," he said.

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
Wait until they get to the pc side of things. 120fps ftw :win:
That's overkill and really only necessary in competitive fps games where are single frame can cost you a match.
shyt smooth as fukk tho. You probably game like a king huh?
Those 1% lows probably a bit annoying huh?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
That's overkill and really only necessary in competitive fps games where are single frame can cost you a match.
shyt smooth as fukk tho. You probably game like a king huh?
Those 1% lows probably a bit annoying huh?
You got the wrong one, @Ciggavelli probably games at 4k and 240 fps.. probably has the most expensive computer on this site. I have no clue why he said 120 fps, majority of us PC users here are 144-240 fps and have been.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
You got the wrong one, @Ciggavelli probably games at 4k and 240 fps.. probably has the most expensive computer on this site. I have no clue why he said 120 fps, majority of us PC users here are 144-240 fps and have been.
I was just doubling it. I have a 4Kx2, so 120 is what I'm getting. Once the GPUs catch up, I'm doing 240, as my monitor allows it. I'm just into graphics, so I'll go down to 120 from 144 to achieve that. Gaming on less than 120 is :hhh:. You can tell the difference from 120 and 240, I've seen it with my own eyes. These nvidia chips just need to catch up when gaming at such high resolution. DLSS helps of course, but if you want the best monitor, with the best graphics, and 240, it's just not possible now. 120 is.

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
I was just doubling it. I have a 4Kx2, so 120 is what I'm getting. Once the GPUs catch up, I'm doing 240, as my monitor allows it. I'm just into graphics, so I'll go down to 120 from 144 to achieve that. Gaming on less than 120 is :hhh:. You can tell the difference from 120 and 240, I've seen it with my own eyes. These nvidia chips just need to catch up when gaming at such high resolution. DLSS helps of course, but if you want the best monitor, with the best graphics, and 240, it's just not possible now. 120 is.
This like Elon Musk complaining how long it takes for his assistants to bring his breakfast upstairs from his 5 star chef to a man that works in a warehouse and eats cap n crunch for breakfast cuz that's the only cereal his whole family will eat

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
We're at the point where graphical gains are marginal improvement compared to smooth gameplay.
Unless it's a drastic leap in graphical fidelity (which I think we will start seeing once AI matures on the computer generated graphics front) gameplay will be king. And 60 fps provides a smoothness that is unmatched compared to 30 fps
Yep, I haven’t played a single game this generation in 30fps.

I will even take the 1080p 60fps option over 30fps.

Craziest thing though, 40fps is pretty smooth, way better option than 30fps

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I forgot which poster it was I was arguing with that tried to tell me graphics fidelity is more important than frame rate completely ignoring the obvious shift in the industry to prioritizing performance. Graphics haven't taken a major leap like that since the PS2 to PS3 era, the subsequent eras were moderate leaps at best. Frame rate is far more important, a game running silky smooth is better than a pretty game that obviously runs slow as fukk.