Marathon (Bungie) PS5, Xbox Series X

SupremexKing

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC/DOHA
Okay so I'm not old enough to remember the OGs, but I played the "new" editions year ago on Xbox live marketplace and....wtf does this have to do with marathon?

Marathon to me always seemed like a derivative of or, cousin to, System Shock.

This looks weird imo.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
2-PlayStation-Showcase-2023-_-ENGLISH-YouTube-%E2%80%94-Mozilla-Firefox-24_05_2023-21_55_46.png

So what exactly is Marathon? Marathon is a 3-person extraction shooter with features that you might find familiar if you play games like Escape From Tarkov. However, if you're not a fan of playing as a team, it's understood that you can jump into a server as a duo or solo if you wish, but you'll still face bigger teams. Extracting without your team is also seemingly a feature.

The core gameplay loop of Marathon is as follows:

• Chose your missions (to complete in the game)
  • Buy / Chose your loadout/perks/abilities/gear
  • Drop into a server
  • Hunt for loot / Complete missions / Explore and find secrets
  • Extract
  • Spend XP on Updates
  • Repeat
The game features three different types of items, loot, implants, and perks. In the current game, permadeath is a feature, but it's understood that players will only lose their loot (weapons, artifacts, currency, etc.) whereas implants are sometimes lost and perks are never lost.

The oxygen system also ties somewhat into the injury system of Marathon, with certain injuries causing the player to suffer different effects. For example, being shot in the waist area may cause damage to your oxygen supply, which will cause it to deplete more rapdily. Another example given was being concussed, which would cause the player's screen to blur periodically.

More at Insider Gaming: EXCLUSIVE - Bungie's 'Marathon' Gameplay Loop, Features, Progression, And More - Insider Gaming

So this is interesting, it kind of like a rogue like/dark souls type game where theres a risk reward in dropping in and getting enough loot to leave with. Do the tarkov and other extraction games have permadeath? :patrice:

Last edited:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
All I know is that with the current state of Destiny 2's servers and neverending drought of PvP content, one could make the claim that Bungie has been fumbling their crown jewel ever since the Sony acquisition and putting most of their resources and focus on Marathon :mjpls:

Hopefully it's not a management issue under the new regime :mjpls:

:mjpls: