Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Manchin invites primary challenge from Sanders supporters in call

By GABRIEL DEBENEDETTI

02/24/17 07:47 PM EST

West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin invited Bernie Sanders supporters to mount a primary challenge against him in a Friday phone call with West Virginians, according to a recording of the call viewed by POLITICO.

The sometimes contentious, roughly 15-minute conversation was largely focused on the prospect of Manchin scheduling a town hall for his constituents — an idea he said he was open to, while also repeatedly asking what the objective would be.

The conference call, which involved several political activists, was recorded by one of the activists, and Manchin can be heard responding to various questions and challenges.

But as the town hall conversation got chippy — and activists on the call brought up points of disagreement with the senator — Manchin exclaimed, “What you ought to do is vote me out. Vote me out! I’m not changing. Find somebody else who can beat me and vote me out."

“Is that an invitation or a threat? I don’t understand,” responded one of the activists.

“Sure, it’s an invitation, you ought to. I can tell that, because we’re on different pages. Are you a Bernie Sanders guy?,” asked the senator.

“Uh, well, I don’t quite see the relevance of that to this conversation,” responded the voter.

“I’m just asking," Manchin said.

“I stand with West Virginians who voted for Bernie Sanders in the primary, in all 55 counties where he won," the voter said.

“Bernie Sanders is not even a Democrat,” said Manchin, who serves with the Vermont independent in party leadership — treading on politically treacherous territory that most other Democrats have avoided at the risk of alienating the party’s restive left wing.

One of the activists posted a live video of the conversation on Facebook publicly.

"They were discussing a difference of opinion and the path forward for West Virginia,” said Manchin’s communications director, Jonathan Kott, confirming that the senator was on the call.

“Sen. Manchin is very happy to have you quote him saying Bernie Sanders is not a Democrat,” he added, noting the Vermonter’s independent status.

Manchin is one of 10 Senate Democrats running for reelection in 2018 in a state that Donald Trump won last November, and he has often broken with other Democrats. Rarely, however, have the breaks been so explicit.

At one point on the call, speaking to one activist, Manchin also says, “What Barack Obama did to our state is criminal,” referring to environmental regulations, after the voter brought up Manchin's vote for Scott Pruitt to become administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. “They put 400 new regulations on top, and they just smothered us. It was ridiculous."

Manchin is already a top target of Republicans who see his seat as winnable. And he's made few friends among liberal Democrats, who view him as leaning far too right.

Manchin invites primary challenge from Sanders supporters in call

Not sure if this has been posted but

Bolded for the highlight :mjgrin::mjgrin::mjgrin::mjgrin:

But but but you gotta be a Republican to win as a Democrat in these states bruhs.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
not left enough for the left and not right enough for the right, so he ends up in the middle of a west virginia road somewhere and will ultimately get ran over. if he was more to the left he would lose as well because that state doesn't want to be associated with coastal liberals. but at least you would lose standing for something different than the republicans.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The man knows his base and isn't changing his platform despite it being the cool thing to entertain these days.

I may not agree with where he stands, but hats off to him for having some backbone.

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
not left enough for the left and not right enough for the right, so he ends up in the middle of a west virginia road somewhere and will ultimately get ran over. if he was more to the left he would lose as well because that state doesn't want to be associated with coastal liberals. but at least you would lose standing for something different than the republicans.
That state is ripe for a politician on the left especially economically and on environmental issues. Bernie being popular there helps a ton.

I don't think folks there mind so much being to the left of them on social issues as long as they feel like dude empathizes Ala Bernie.

West Virginia went to Bernie by a good margin and it strictly has to do with economics imo.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
That state is ripe for a politician on the left especially economically and on environmental issues. Bernie being popular there helps a ton.

I don't think folks there mind so much being to the left of them on social issues as long as they feel like dude empathizes Ala Bernie.

West Virginia went to Bernie by a good margin and it strictly has to do with economics imo.
went to bernie over hillary, it's not like he went up against trump. hillary easily won there over obama. shyt a dude in jail won easily over obama in 2012. i don't think that state is ripe for any one of the left environmentally, they love their pollution because that's the only jobs their qualified for.