Mafia helped bring the demise of the KKK in the 60s/70s.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Pretty interesting documentary. My buddy told me to check this out. Essentially it talks about how the KKK helped indirectly form the Mafia and it eventually resulted in the demise of the KKK. Highly recommended to learn a bit of American History.

-KKK was created to retain white supremacy after the loss of the Civil War
-Initially seen as a terrorist organization but later in the 1930s - 1940s was reprised as a white family/unity organization, solely WASP.
-KKK pushed for prohibition being that Irish/Italian/Jewish Immigrants were getting low paying jobs handling liquor (bartenders, etc, whatever)
-KKK had anti-Northern sentiment obviously. Stating the influx of immigrants, race mixing, etc
-This created a counterculture of speakeasys in places like Chicago, NYC, etc, Jazz music rose which caused a lot of racial mixing of many cultures.
-One thing noted was that the Mafia funded a prominent gay club in Chicago which obviously the KKK HATED.
-KKK thought that Jazz and Speakeasys were destroying America culture, hence it blames Italian and Irish Immigrants.
-Mafia became stronger with violence and more organized.
-Hollywood pushes Jazz and speakeasys. Hollywood is mostly Jewish ran. Jewish people push this culture, racial groups coming together. Even promotes prominent Italian gangsters. Demonizes the KKK.
-Enter J. Edgar Hoover. It was rumored that Hoover had a black grandfather.
-Enter The Rat Pack. Italian Catholics, Irish, Jewish, and Blacks are together in this group i.e. Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr. Confronts segregation.
-In the 1950s Black Americans tended to vote Republican. Democrats tended voted for legislation against segregation.
-Enter JFK...a NE Catholic. Sinatra has friendships with Mob leaders, who have connection with Irish/Italian union workers. Gives support to JFK.
-Civil Rights Movement. Klan responds. Klan is ultra violent.
-KKK violence galvanizes the Civil Rights Movement for Blacks as well as Northern Whites and some Southern Whites
-J Edgar Hoover launches many investigations against the Klan. Not so much traction.
-FBI 'used Mafia enforcer' to find bodies in Mississippi Burning case.
-FBI gets confessions as a result for the Missisippi Burning. Hurts the KKK significantly.

I just think it is a weird twist of fate that the Klan had a footing into getting what they hate (blacks, Jews, 'black music' i.e. jazz, racemixing) into modern American society.