Looks like these gaming companies have finally learned...

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
to release games on a friday instead of tuesday. :blessed: I remember when music shifted tuesday releases to Friday, and now it looks like bigger 3rd and 1st party releases are doing the same.

I think Nintendo was 1st on this movement, going from Sundays on some of there big releases (yes sundays) to just Friday and now it seems like finally the whole industry is doing the same.

It's so much better to be able to pick a game up on friday and have the whole weekend to play and if you want to take a day of having 3 potential days of playtime instead of a random Tuesday in the middle of a work week.

Hope this continues going forward

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Growing up, I never understood how Tuesday became the day. Makes sense to have it on Friday when people typically get paid.

it’s weird how it varies across mediums...for music it allowed retailers time to get albums shipped to them (the weekend + monday) which ensured as many retailers as possible would be selling album releases on the same day...for books, tuesday is supposedly the worst sales day of the week so book releases were on tuesday at one point to drum up slow sales...for video games, release dates were arbitrary with retailers getting/selling the games whenever until sega decided to release sonic on a tuesday and had a big marketing campaign announcing it would be available everywhere on tuesday and that seemingly kicked off the new standard release day for video games

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
for music it was because charts dropped every Wednesday, which gave them a full 7 days to get sales counted

also overall it's to get as much sales for a week as possible while fully honoring a release date. monday would be ideal but that means paying people across industries to get everything delivered and ready on Sundays

that's how I understood it, if it's a lie I ain't tell it

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I recall shipping being a reason for video games on Tuesday.

Tuesday use to just be the estimated shipping date. But usually the product got there for a Tuesday release, and eventually it became a norm.

Eventually we starting seeing estimated shipping dates for Wednesday also.

I think it was just to make sure product coul make it to the store throughout the week.

At one time, getting only 20 copies of a popular game wasn't uncommon so games would literally sell out for a day or two and based on how many copies were selling from a stores inventory they would ship out more copies to said stores in the region.

Gamestop still does this to a certain extent with pre-orders. If a store gets 50 pre orders for a ps5 game and 1 for a xbox game they are going to get like 15 extra copies of the PS5 version and like 1 or 2 of the Xbox version even if the Xbox is typically the that stores hottest seller and vice versa.