Looks like the Sprint/T-Mobile merger might get tossed in the bushes

2CT

Prolific Poster
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Own 🌍
they receiving hella pushback :heh: FCC also extended the review period

T-Mobile and Sprint’s proposed merger has seen pushback from various groups. One in particular, the Communications Workers of America (CWA), is concerned the deal could mean up to 30,000 lost jobs. Now, 14 organizations including Consumer Reports, CWA, and the American Antitrust Institute have shared with the House of Representatives why they believe the deal shouldn’t be allowed and also called for hearings on the merger proposal.

Today, leaders from the 14 organizations sent a letter to Congressmen Nadler and Pallone, who are the ranking members on the Committee on the Judiciary and Committee on Energy & Commerce, respectively. The letter shares arguments for why the T-Mobile and Sprint merger should be blocked and also asks for hearings on the potential impacts of such a deal.

The concerns range from job losses, it being an anti-competitive and anti-consumer deal, to even incentivizing Verizon, AT&T, and the new T-Mobile to “collude.”

Meanwhile, the FCC asked for comments on the latest T-Mobile and Sprint merger proposal earlier this month. The normal 180-day review clock was paused back in September, and will resume once the open comment period ends next month.

After T-Mobile and Sprint shifted their arguments for why the merger would be beneficial, and this latest barrage of concerns from 14 organizations, the odds of it happening seem to be diminishing.

me personally i hope it gets declined, Sprint acting soft and trying to concede instead of keeping the competition going :ufdup:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I also hope it fails. I like what T-Mobile have done to the wireless industry, and that MNVO's have give consumers a lot of inexpensive options, but I think Sprint needs to stay in the game to keep things competitive. I think if T-Mobile absorbed Sprint, John Legere would get a golden parachute and the next CEO would be a lot more 'business-orientated' to say the least and focus more on profits in a more obvious way.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I also hope it fails. I like what T-Mobile have done to the wireless industry, and that MNVO's have give consumers a lot of inexpensive options, but I think Sprint needs to stay in the game to keep things competitive. I think if T-Mobile absorbed Sprint, John Legere would get a golden parachute and the next CEO would be a lot more 'business-orientated' to say the least and focus more on profits in a more obvious way.

John Legere would remain CEO

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
John Legere would remain CEO
I can't see him continuing on the same path after the merger for an extended period of time. He has dialed things back recently admittedly compared to their original rates and promos that made them "the good guys"

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I can't see him continuing on the same path after the merger for an extended period of time. He has dialed things back recently admittedly compared to their original rates and promos that made them "the good guys"
Everyone knew that was bound to happen, they are publicly traded and those deals are expensive. Doesn’t make it suck any less with the shytiy ass deals we are currently getting from them, I’ll admit. They were disappointing this year

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
they receiving hella pushback :heh: FCC also extended the review period

me personally i hope it gets declined, Sprint acting soft and trying to concede instead of keeping the competition going :ufdup:
Sprint is trash and that's with me being a customer of theirs for 16 years straight. I just sub to them because where else can I get unlimited everything and a 10GB hotspot for 60 a month after taxes and fees?

As Sprint customer this merger would probably get me better coverage so screw it I say let them do it. Sprint will never compete with Verizon or AT&T.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
every time t mobile tries to merge they get screwed, the plus is they get a big stimulus package from each failed purchase. isn't this like the 3rd merger attempt with onlythe metro merger going through? I bet if Verizon bought them they'd allow it

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Sprint is trash and that's with me being a customer of theirs for 16 years straight. I just sub to them because where else can I get unlimited everything and a 10GB hotspot for 60 a month after taxes and fees?

As Sprint customer this merger would probably get me better coverage so screw it I say let them do it. Sprint will never compete with Verizon or AT&T.

none of them will compete with AT&T from a pure revenue standpoint. I believe they'll let Verizon(which was basically an AT&T offshoot)grow but AT&T is a minster even with less subscribers than Verizon. Only because they have all those other revenue streams.

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
every time t mobile tries to merge they get screwed, the plus is they get a big stimulus package from each failed purchase. isn't this like the 3rd merger attempt with onlythe metro merger going through? I bet if Verizon bought them they'd allow it
verizon is lord of the game for better or for worse

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
verizon is lord of the game for better or for worse

only because Verizon is the fcc sweetheart for now but wait until they expand their fiber network from the northeast. They already have a contract for like 30 million miles of cable to expand, it'll be slow but after that it'll be everywhere. At that point they'll be a real threat because the fcc treats fiber different than cable. They have the technology just not the customer base and that's what AT&T tried to do with uverse which is beat them to the punch.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps

Metro by T-Mobile.

Sprint is awful

2CT

Prolific Poster
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Own 🌍

i've been a Sprint customer for a long ass time too, like at least a decade now and i worked for em for 2 years back in 2015

believe me when i say T-Mobile (and to a lesser extent Verizon) had these cats SHOOK for a good several months, like to the poin t they were making changes to plans like once a week

every time i walked in there they had training modules on new changes to plans :pachaha:

i actually met Marcelo too and seen him speak a few times, he's a down to earth humble dude but the company itself is just trash with how they operate

Last edited: