Looking for good period dramas shows. Please recommend!

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
I am a fan of period television shows. I am looking for any good tv show prior to 1950s at the minimum that i can enjoy and open to recommendations . I have seen that one with matthew rhys perry mason too. Below are the lists I've watched already to avoid recommendation repetitions
1.Tudors
2.deadwood
3.hell on wheels
4.the knick
5. downton abbey
6.boardwalk empire
7.borgias
8.rome
9. pillars of the earth
10. the white queen and its affiliates
11. spartacus
12. perry mason
13. the borgias
14. little dorit
15 vikings
16 John adams HBO
17 penny dreadful
18 mad men
19 peaky blinders
20. wolf hall

Last edited:

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
The Last Kingdom
Black Sails
Peaky Blinders
Mad Men (1960s, so technically doesn’t meet your criteria, but an excellent show if you haven’t seen it)
Thanks ive seen all except black sails, got boring after season 1. Out of all these i loved mad men the most. One of the best shows ever

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Black Sails. S1 is a little inconsistent, they were still finding their feet, but the next 3 seasons are very good. Period realistic fighting, politics, intriguing, great characters. IMO its the best depiction of pirate life in any form of fiction, be it movies, games or books.

You should also check out Wolf Hall, covers the same ground as The Tudors. it's only a miniseries but it's way, way better, and I say this as someone who enjoyed The Tudors a lot.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
Black Sails. S1 is a little inconsistent, they were still finding their feet, but the next 3 seasons are very good. Period realistic fighting, politics, intriguing, great characters. IMO its the best depiction of pirate life in any form of fiction, be it movies, games or books.

You should also check out Wolf Hall, covers the same ground as The Tudors. it's only a miniseries but it's way, way better, and I say this as someone who enjoyed The Tudors a lot.
I loved wolf hall it was brilliant as good as the tudors. I tried giving black sails a chance but man it was really getting tiring and boring.

Daps
Thanks ive seen all except black sails, got boring after season 1. Out of all these i loved mad men the most. One of the best shows ever
I see you added Peaky and Mad Men to the OP and didn’t like Black Sails…what about The Last Kingdom? Didn’t like it?

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
I see you added Peaky and Mad Men to the OP and didn’t like Black Sails…what about The Last Kingdom? Didn’t like it?
Yeah i keep adding more to the list when i recall, i liked the last kingdom but after season 1 it got stale for me. Feel free to recommend dystopian/apocalyptic stuff too breh. love shows like jericho, the 100, under the dome, walking dead etc

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
The Crown on Netflix

The production values and acting are pretty high in that show.

JJ Lions

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am a fan of period television shows. I am looking for any good tv show prior to 1950s at the minimum that i can enjoy and open to recommendations . I have seen that one with matthew rhys perry mason too. Below are the lists I've watched already to avoid recommendation repetitions
1.Tudors
2.deadwood
3.hell on wheels
4.the knick
5. downton abbey
6.boardwalk empire
7.borgias
8.rome
9. pillars of the earth
10. the white queen and its affiliates
11. spartacus
12. perry mason
13. the borgias
14. little dorit
15 vikings
16 John adams HBO
17 penny dreadful
18 mad men
19 peaky blinders
20. wolf hall
Just started watching 1883 on Paramount+. 2 episodes in, it's good.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I have seen all those , very nice especially deadwoods , also seen hell on wheels with common too
I’d recommend Band of Brothers too but I’m not sure if war dramas are of your liking.

Not many pre-1950s shows I’m watching at the moment. I think the last one I watched was The Gilded Age. Fantastic sets for a show set in the 1880s, nice cast, but nothing noteworthy seemed to happen in its story during the first season. Your mileage may vary though.