Looking for a new android box

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
Hey brehs my brother is getting a new TV and giving me his 4 year old 55" Sony TV. Reason he's getting a new one is the smart features aren't working anymore cause it's not connecting to the internet both wired and wireless and he's been quoted anywhere from $300-500 to get it fixed so he's just going to get a new one.

Anyways I figure this will be an upgrade on the 49" in my room but want to be able to access netflix/Kodi so I've been looking into android boxes. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Vorke box below from Amazon but before I do I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations or thoughts on why I shouldn't get the below.

https:// www.amazon.ca/VORKE-Android-802-11ac-Dual-Band-Bluetooth/dp/B075R5H5YH

I'd say $150ish is what I'd want to spend.

Never Forget

The legendary name is no more. Don't tag/quote me
Daps
Reppin
Don't message me
Hey brehs my brother is getting a new TV and giving me his 4 year old 55" Sony TV. Reason he's getting a new one is the smart features aren't working anymore cause it's not connecting to the internet both wired and wireless and he's been quoted anywhere from $300-500 to get it fixed so he's just going to get a new one.

Anyways I figure this will be an upgrade on the 49" in my room but want to be able to access netflix/Kodi so I've been looking into android boxes. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Vorke box below from Amazon but before I do I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations or thoughts on why I shouldn't get the below.

https:// www.amazon.ca/VORKE-Android-802-11ac-Dual-Band-Bluetooth/dp/B075R5H5YH

I'd say $150ish is what I'd want to spend.

Here is my recommendation
Wisewo t95z plus

Honorable mentions, If you can find one cheap nvidia shield or a 2nd gen fire tv

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
If you're willing to spend $150, you might as well get an Nvidia shield which seems to be all the rage these days simply because it has the official Android TV OS and is supported by nvidia. I have a $30 A95X R1 android box with a RK3229 chipset, 1GB ram and 8GB storage which lacks gigabit ethernet and 5ghz wifi but does what i wanted most which was play x265 content. The remote is the worst experience which is why i can't personally recommend it at all. I'm looking into buying an air mouse for it. In the last two months i've tested it , i've had to reboot it like 5 times since it froze and wifi which is 2.4ghz turned out to be unreliable(randomly disconnects). i've streamed a 36GB movie without any issues with ethernet connected. I'm satisfied with it since it does what I want it to do which is run plex and kodi, i haven't gotten around to configuring it to do much else since the remote is a hassle.

if you use netflix or amazon prime and care about 4k streaming from those services, you'll need to keep in mind that generic android boxes are not supported by their drm which is another reason why nvidia shield is lauded. I don't care about that though.

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
If you're willing to spend $150, you might as well get an Nvidia shield which seems to be all the rage these days simply because it has the official Android TV OS and is supported by nvidia. I have a $30 A95X R1 android box with a RK3229 chipset, 1GB ram and 8GB storage which lacks gigabit ethernet and 5ghz wifi but does what i wanted most which was play x265 content. The remote is the worst experience which is why i can't personally recommend it at all. I'm looking into buying an air mouse for it. In the last two months i've tested it , i've had to reboot it like 5 times since it froze and wifi which is 2.4ghz turned out to be unreliable(randomly disconnects). i've streamed a 36GB movie without any issues with ethernet connected. I'm satisfied with it since it does what I want it to do which is run plex and kodi, i haven't gotten around to configuring it to do much else since the remote is a hassle.

if you use netflix or amazon prime and care about 4k streaming from those services, you'll need to keep in mind that generic android boxes are not supported by their drm which is another reason why nvidia shield is lauded. I don't care about that though.

Thanks the $150 is CAD and the shield is at least $100 more than I'm willing to spend. It's probably overkill for what I need it for since I won't be gaming or anything. I don't stream a lot of 4K stuff off Netflix so that shouldn't be an issue. Most of my 4K content will be from an external HD/USB

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Thanks the $150 is CAD and the shield is at least $100 more than I'm willing to spend. It's probably overkill for what I need it for since I won't be gaming or anything. I don't stream a lot of 4K stuff off Netflix so that shouldn't be an issue. Most of my 4K content will be from an external HD/USB

I forgot to mention the Mi Box which I've been debating purchasing myself. I just find the blown up mobile android on set-top boxes to be clunky even with the default launcher it came with so I'm curious about Android TV OS. I'm not enthusiastic about voice recognition but they're actively tweaking the user interface to make a better browsing experience.

Last edited:

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
I ordered it Sunday night with standard shipping I'll get it on Minday. I went with the wisewo t95z plus box u recommended.

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
Just wondering how's your android box working out?.

Works really well. Was easy as hell to set up and already had Kodi and Netflix on it. The Netflix app needs improvement though as it's a little hard to scroll around to find a show. The keyboard takes some getting used to but it comes in handy.

Thanks