Looking back, Ja Rule successfully pivoting to making Rap/RnB hits was highly impressive

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
People bringing up Ja/50 to compare KDot to
UAZGQp7.png
got me thinking about Ja's run as a rapper making RnB duets with Ashanti, etc.

When Ja first came out, or at least when I first remembered him, he was on some typical ny street shyt with "holla holla" and then he started making RnB duets with Ashanti.

Even though 50 used that pivot to discredit Ja (who went from a street guy persona to a singer persona, while Drake came in as a singer type who started acting hard) I have to say that Ja really made some good music and it's really impressive how he was able to make all those hits when you look at it.

This is a bit :dame: not the typical type of dude you'd expect to be popular making songs that appeal to women, like Usher or Chris Brown etc. Like I can't recall any girls in school ever saying that they thought Ja was fine etc, like they did with other artists that made music that appealed to them, but they still all fukked with his songs.

He's also not a good singer in a conventional way. Yeah the gravelly cookie monster voice isn't smooth, but he somehow made it work.

I got to say that if he didn't ever beef with 50 and try to act hard again after that pivot, I think he would've continued to have a solid run for awhile as it was pretty impressive of him to even get in that lane as successfully as he did in the first place when you look at the prototypical RnB type (or hybrid rap-RnB) of artist.