Little Haiti section of Miami is in transition as gentrification changes the area

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Little Haiti in Transition | Gentrification at the heart of South Florida Haitians’ cultural cradle​

Haitian Times
Apr 30, 2023
Gentrification at the heart of South Florida Haitians’ cultural cradle highlights assimilation quandary Wherever you go in Little Haiti, new developments with “for lease” signs greet you and construction sites dot the neighborhood as gentrification fully settles in. In this Haitian Times mini-documentary, three small business owners share their experiences of striving to keep alive the culture whose name Little Haiti bears.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
:wow: wow well fukk it charge them white folks triple if you gonna sell... What else can you do?

If the people that own are selling then it is what it is. Crying about Gentrification when you don't own is goofy. You have family member leaving behind these homes and shyt to the family and the first thing they do is sell and split the pot.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
There’s always change and people resisting and losing to change. Little Haiti wasn’t always Little Haiti, it was Lemon City before. It was swamp land before too. It’s inevitable. I’m from Miami, lived in Little Haiti, I have family and friends in Little Haiti. Humans migrate. :yeshrug:

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Bruh, old head in the video is the youngest 81 year old I've ever seen.
Bought books from him/his store back in like 2019 or so…..I thought he was early 60s tops. Definitely a young 81.

Visited Little Haiti, specifically the cultural center a couple of weeks ago….compared to when I was last there (2019) it has improved a lot. A lot more foot traffic. Better and more cohesive businesses inside. (Pate Plus charging $7/8 a patty was kinda wild tho :russ:)

One of the times I happened to visit over this past month…was during Kompa lessons on Saturday afternoon. I was on the go, but dawg :ohlawd: a lot of beautiful dames out there. Talkin dark skinned, brown skinned, thick, slim, natural, all dat.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
As far as the gentrification, it really hit me when I as mail carrier back in 2013 or so. The frontside Main Street was black / Haitian businesses or homes. There were entire segments of the backside or streets leading away from 2nd Ave that were newly white owned.

And what Mapou said in the video is right, and I’m guilty of it myself to an extent…enough (not all, but those like myself) of the next generations aren’t putting enough back into what the culture gave us. Time, thought, input, money, patronage, Etc.

Previous to 2019, when I actually lived in Miami, I think the last time I extensively spent time in Little Haiti was 2017 & Wyclef was performing down there.

(Also…North Miami might as well be called Hialeah East. And Liberty City is soon to follow.)

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As far as the gentrification, it really hit me when I as mail carrier back in 2013 or so. The frontside Main Street was black / Haitian businesses or homes. There were entire segments of the backside or streets leading away from 2nd Ave that were newly white owned.

And what Mapou said in the video is right, and I’m guilty of it myself to an extent…enough (not all, but those like myself) of the next generations aren’t putting enough back into what the culture gave us. Time, thought, input, money, patronage, Etc.

Previous to 2019, when I actually lived in Miami, I think the last time I extensively spent time in Little Haiti was 2017 & Wyclef was performing down there.

(Also…North Miami might as well be called Hialeah East. And Liberty City is soon to follow.)

What do u mean by the last part?