Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Linda Johnson Rice Says Ebony Sell Is Smart Business Move
New venture Ebony Media Operations is still black-owned

by Carolyn M. Brown Posted: June 23, 2016
http://www.blackenterprise.com/be-100s/linda-johnson-rice-says-ebony-magazine-sell-business-move/

A- A A+
LINDA-JOHNSON-RICE-300x232.jpg

(Image: File)

Last week marked the end of an era for the historic Chicago-based Johnson Publishing Co.

After a 71-year run, the family-owned business has sold its iconic Ebony magazine and the now digital-only Jet magazine to Clear View Group, a private equity firm in Denton, Texas. Johnson Publishing retained ownership of Fashion Fair cosmetics and its photo archives valued at $40 million.

Ebony Is Still Black-Owned

The new publishing entity, Ebony Media Operations, is maintaining the magazine’s Chicago headquarters and its New York editorial office, as well as much of the current staff.

Linda Johnson Rice, chairman of Johnson Publishing and daughter of founder John H. Johnson, said in a statement, “This is the next chapter in retaining the legacy that my father, John H. Johnson, built to ensure the celebration of African Americans.” She is quick to point out the Ebony remains black-owned, “You’ve got two African American companies coming together and doing business with each other.”

A Media Titan

Chicago-based Johnson Publishing Co. was founded in 1942 by John H. and Eunice Johnson and curates the African American experience–past, present, and future.

Johnson began his publishing conglomerate with a mere $500 dollars borrowed against his mother’s home furnishings. The Negro Digest was the first publication, folding in 1951.The couple’s second publication, Ebony, a pictorial news magazine fashioned after Life magazine first appeared in November 1945. Jet magazine was launched in 1951 to highlight the news of African Americans in a social limelight with politics, entertainment, business, and sports.

A touring fashion show in 1958 gave birth to the Ebony Fashion Fair. In 1973, the Johnsons started their Fashion Fair cosmetics line for runway models that were having trouble finding makeup for darker skin complexions.

BE 100s Pioneer

The first time Black Enterprise compiled its BE 100s annual report of the nation’s largest black-owned businesses in 1973, Johnson Publishing made the cut; it ranked No. 2 on the inaugural list with $22.1 million in revenues.

By the end of the first decade for the BE 100, three companies on the list had broken the $100 million sales barrier. The perennial top 10 sales leaders included Motown Industries and Johnson Publishing Co.

It not only remained on the list, but ranked among the top 25 companies consecutively. This is, until 2011, when it fell to the No. 30 spot, and 2012, which marked last time it appeared on the BE 100s list. Johnson Publishing’s media revenues struggled to evolve from print to digital platforms.

Savvy Business Move

NPR recently spoke with Johnson Rice and Kyra Kyles, vice president of digital content who will serve as the new editor-in-chief of Ebony and Jet.

Johnson Rice described this as a bitter sweet moment to interviewer Michael Martin; “The bitter might be just an initial reaction of, ‘Oh my goodness, it’s sold,’ but not really understanding fully that I will be chairman emeritus of the new company, which is Ebony Media Operations. It is African American-led and owned, and I have a seat on the board. I also have an equity position in the company, so I’m still there. I’ve not walked away from this at all. I love Ebony, I love Jet, so I think the audience needs to understand that.”

When asked if it was painful to sell the business that had been in her family for seven decades, Johnson Rice replied, “I think if I have to be honest with you, I’m very excited. There are different emotions that you go through at different stages. But I think when you come to a realization that this is really in the best interest of the brand and that it really is in our best interest to be able to expand our audience and reach, then you get to a point where you decide that this really is a decision that needs to be made. You have to be confident and feel very good about that.”
Linda Johnson Says Ebony Sell Is Smart Business Move

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jet And Ebony Sold, Ending A 71-Year Run Under Johnson Publishing
6:28

• linda-a3ef3df5f8015695550a05de9f82852662033f34-s800-c85.jpg

Chairman of Johnson Publishing Linda Johnson Rice will retain a position on the board of the company that bought Jet andEbony magazine.

J. Countess/Getty Images
    Last week marked the end of an era for the historic Chicago-based Johnson Publishing Co. After a 71-year run as an outlet for the expression of both the highest aspirations and deepest frustrations of African-Americans, the family-owned business has sold its iconic lifestyle magazine — Ebony — and the now digital-only Jet magazine.

The magazines were sold to Clear View Group, a private equity firm in Texas that has been described as African-American-owned. Johnson Publishing will retain its ownership of Fashion Fair cosmetics and the company's extensive photo archives.

Johnson Publishing was founded by John H. Johnson, the grandson of slaves who became the first African-American to appear on the Forbes List of the 400 Richest Americans. His depiction of African-American notables living elegant lives set a new standard for coverage of black Americans. So, too, did his decision to publish photos of the open casket of the Chicago teenager Emmett Till, who was kidnapped and tortured by white racists in Mississippi in 1955.

NPR's Michel Martin spoke with Kyra Kyles, vice president of digital content, who will serve as the new editor-in-chief of Ebony and Jet, and to Linda Johnson Rice, chairman of Johnson Publishing and daughter of founder John Johnson; she will retain the title of chairman of the old company and will take a position on the board of the new entity.

Interview Highlights
    On the editorial future of the magazines

Kyles: We can continue to be what John Johnson wanted us to be, which is this — not only an educator, an entertainer, but a beacon of hope providing an example and showing people, "Hey, here's some of the most wonderful things that black people are doing all over the world," and inspiring people to know that they can do the same.

On whether it was painful to sell the business that had been in her family for seven decades

LJR: Not really. I think if I have to be honest with you, I'm very excited. There are different emotions that you go through at different stages. But I think when you come to a realization that this is really in the best interest of the brand, it really is in the best interest to be able to expand our audience and our reach, then you get to a point where you decide. ... This really is a decision that needs to be made and you have to be confident and feel very good about that.

On whether there's a sense of loss in the broader African-American community because of the sale

LJR: Actually, what I'm hearing is a little more bittersweet, not necessarily a sense of loss. As a matter of fact, I'm hearing more positive things because first of all, it's really wonderful that this is an African-American investment group. So you've got two African-American companies coming together and doing business with each other.

On what is the bitter and what is the sweet resulting from selling the business

LJR: The bitter might be just an initial reaction of, "Oh my goodness, it's sold," but not really understanding fully that I will be chairman emeritus of the new company, which is Ebony Media Operations. It is African-American led and owned, and I have a seat on the board and I also have an equity position in the company so I'm still there. I've not walked away from this at all. I love Ebony, I love Jet, so I think the audience needs to understand that.

On the "famous story" about her father donning a disguise to get access to and buy one of his offices

LJR: What he did was, in order to buy this building, he actually had to have a white gentleman who was really, was kind of the face of the purchase, and my father proceeded to act like he was just a janitor so he could just walk through the building and take a look at it. And that is the nuts and bolts of that story.

On the significance of Jet and Ebony as chroniclers of the African-American experience and the continued need for such publications

LJR: I think you will find that a lot of young African-Americans are really searching for, "Who am I?" and "Where did I come from?" and "What is my past?" I think we're as relevant now as we've ever been. For example, when we did the Bill Cosby cover in fall of last year, it was a lot of controversy.

It was the Cosby family on the cover, but overlaid on that it appeared to be a shattered glass. So it really wasn't just about the shattering of the Huxtables, it was really a shattering of the black family. And it was a question about that and where do we stand on that. And so, these are things that are very, very relevant that Ebony will continue to cover.

Drones

Visions of $
Daps
If Ebony is really black-owned, how come their articles are straight c00nery and they refuse to acknowledge Hidden Colors 4? I think them coming out with this 'we're really black owned!' is a response to the backlash they've received for putting out a bunch of Twitter bedwench content in an age where we can get the real about Black issues elsewhere.

Canon

Veteran
Daps
black feminist trash at this point

needs to be destroyed

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Ebony is really black-owned, how come their articles are straight c00nery and they refuse to acknowledge Hidden Colors 4? I think them coming out with this 'we're really black owned!' is a response to the backlash they've received for putting out a bunch of Twitter bedwench content in an age where we can get the real about Black issues elsewhere.

What bedwench content?