Lets be real for a moment. How many of you grew up with no father figure?

Did you grow up with a father figure?

• Yes. My father was in my life but he was a poor example

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Yes. My father was in my life and he set a good example

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Yes. I had an uncle/family friend/stepfather/grandfather/ involved

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I just had discover what it means to be a man on my own.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
I lost my father when I was around 14 years old. The last time I had seen him in person, I was 7 years old. He never lived with us and I rarely saw him. Now that I'm 21 years old its really starting to sink in that I never really had anyone to show me how to be a man in my life. My uncles are all embarrassments to the family and serve as a template of what NOT to do.

I've never seen the rest of the adult males in my family and my grandfather is incredibly old and the last time I saw him was maybe when I was 6 or 7. Even though I didn't see my father I have a lot of respect for him. He was a man who was patient, hard working, and generally kind to people that probably didn't even deserve kindness. A lot of my male influences have come from TV, books, music or video games. I've just basically tried to piece together what kind of a person I should be based off those role models.

I hope to have kids someday and when I do I'd try to have as much of a presence in their lives as possible to show them the way. I think there are too many men out here who grew up without father figures in their lives so it really fukks with their emotions and behaviour because they never had that masculine energy to balance out the feminine energy being radiated by mothers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, etc.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Grew up in a 2 parent married household.

Father passed away when i was in 8th grade

Kinda learned everything after that in my own and the last two sentences in your second paragraph hit too close to home too :to:

Unless it's because of death, i'm going to be in my child(ren) life as much as i can when me and my wife have them in the future.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Haven't seen mine since I was 10 or 11, 28 now. Of course I fukked up a little on my way to manhood but i turned out fine. The people I turned to as father figures were mainly the brothers I was reading about (Malcolm, Garvey etc). I have some uncles who are good folk but I wasn't around them enough. Gets annoying when people talk about how sorry they feel for you, shyt isn't the end of the world. Things could have been better if he was there, but could have been worse too :manny:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
yeah my dad was around in fact he was a shoe............................. Um matter of fact I had no father growing up he died in Nam.

Daps
Reppin
respect, usa
I didn't grow up with my pops but I had a mentor, who looked out for me in college. Made sure I had some spending money, etc. That was my weekend spot. Always had a hot plate ready, beans, rice, chicken,:ohlawd:.

We still talk once or twice a week. He is just a good dude and his family always looked out for me. I talk to my pops now that I'm older. It's not the same though. I went through a rough period and I doubt it would have happened with him in my life., but I wouldn't be the person I am today. A lot of the shh was substance abuse, but now I look back and realize while most people my age are contemplating whether to sober up, or clean up their diets or stop smoking cigs and marijuana etc, I've already been through those life stages. Now my free-time is spent reading, blogging and focusing on my career.

I do know I will be there for my future kids though. I got to be. I got to break that cycle.

Token

Concerned Aunt
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Front Porch
Lost contact with him when I was around 7 got back in contact with him at around 13 or 14. It's just not the same, tho. Our relationship is not what it used to be or what it should be. I hate him for that.:to:

DallasTxRep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas
Haven't seen my father in 12 yrs, before then he was always in & out of my life. But I turned out just fine and I'll be damned if I ever run outta my sons life. I enjoy being a dad, my greatest accomplishment

REAL TALK