Legendary Martial Arts Filmmaker John Woo Is Remaking His Classic Film 'The Killer'

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
John Woo will return to direct “The Killer” after all.

Following over a decade of discussions around the English-language adaptation of his 1989 classic film, Woo confirmed that he will helm a reimagining for Peacock in collaboration with Universal Pictures. “The Killer” is about a seasoned assassin who takes on one last job, during which he accidentally blinds a nightclub singer. In order to pay for an operation to fix her sight, the killer for hire agrees to assassinate a high-ranking triad boss, just as the police are tracking him down. Chow Yun-fat, Sally Yeh, and Danny Lee star in the original

2018, Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o was set to lead a gender-swapped remake as the assassin; there has been no word yet on official casting for the Peacock Original. The new version will arrive on the streamer next year.

Per Peacock, “celebrated action auteur John Woo returns to reimagine and direct his own classic” for the streamer, which has boasted “exceptional growth” during the first quarter of 2022, topping rival streaming network Netflix

Additional Peacock Original films announced for 2023 as part of the Universal Pictures collaboration include “Shooting Stars,” LeBron James’ first installment under his NBCUniversal production deal alongside Maverick Carter’s SpringHill Company. “Shooting Stars” follows James’ origin story as a high school basketball player and is currently being filmed in his hometown of Akron, Ohio. Academy Award nominees Rachel Winter and Terence Winter are also producing along with The SpringHill Company.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Was going to post this.

I'm not really sure what to think. They'll probably get a Hemsworth or Anthony Mackie in the role, not sure who can do it justice. I just hope some of the OG cast get cameos obviously Chow Yun Fat.

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
Was going to post this.

I'm not really sure what to think. They'll probably get a Hemsworth or Anthony Mackie in the role, not sure who can do it justice. I just hope some of the OG cast get cameos obviously Chow Yun Fat.
Well see and I hope so too

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Was going to post this.

Looks like the original premise of the remake will be the same, with a female assassin taking care of the singer who she blinded.

It's unclear if this new remake of The Killer is related to the project announced way back in 2018. That film was also going to be directed by Woo, with Black Panther and Us actress Lupita Nyong'o starring in the new lead role. The synopsis given by NBCUniversal at the time had the same premise as the original film, but with a female assassin protecting a young woman blinded by an earlier job.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I been waiting for him to comeback with the heroic bloodshed movies :blessed:

That Manhunt joint he had on netflix was really the comeback but that was ass.

Last edited: