Lee Daniels Says Mom Prefers Tyler Perry Movies

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why can't you make movies like Tyler Perry?"
Lee Daniels may have a new hit movie in theaters but at home, he's his mother's second favorite director. In a recent interview with Black Girls Radio, 'The Butler' filmmaker explained his mother's preference and her thoughts on his previous movies. Daniels also discusses why he chose to portray a certain scene in the movie in a fashion suitable for all ages. "I wanted my mom pleased," he says.

:patrice:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
How in the world is it c00nish

Perhaps I should've said more "minstrel show" thematics, shucking and jiving, the lowest common denominator of supposed "black" entertainment, perpetuating negative stereotypes without offering any true viable counter or solution. Lazily written, messily directed, cliche' ridden, awfully acted and predictably plotted.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The worst cinematic abortion I've ever had the mis-pleasure of seeing was 4 Colored Girls. That movie right there let me know that Tyler Perry was nothing more than a bullshyt artist. The movie's ultimate message was that the Black Man was a savage, beastly, untrustworthy piece of filth that is only out to rape and use the black woman. Don't trust the clean cut brother go has a nice job and the winning smile, he's secretly an INCREDIBLY vicious (not to mention fukking retarded) rapist who will come to your house, leave DNA evidence ALL over the goddamn place and force himself on you:comeon:

Don't trust the black man whose a veteran because apparently the man will toss his OWN children out of a window :beli:

Don't trust the black man whose college educated, has a good Job, and can afford to provide you with a comfortable lifestyle because he's secretly a down low fakkit who will give you Aids:huhldup:

Now onto these black women, a whore, a battered girlfriend, a scorned wife, and a rape victim. By the end of the movie what the fukk kind of revelation about their own lives did they come too? How did they change for the better? What lessons did they learn besides how not to trust the colored men of their own community? Thandie Newton was STILL a whore at the end of it all, she made NO resolutions to change her behavior, even AFTER her sister was seen going down the same path and having to have a back alley abortion. Janet Jackson was still and uppity, pie in the sky, entitled businesswoman with Aids, did she change her behavior? Did she come to the realization that perhaps love and intimacy don't go hand in hand with stature and that what always glitters isn't always gold? Did she learn ANY goddamn thing and all from this? No she was on the roof top quoting some cliche bullshyt poem.

The movie was nothing more than a setting to showcase and exaggerate all the negative aspects of the black community (for shock value) without offering ANY type resolutions for either the characters or audience. It offered not ONE positive depiction of black males or even a complex and three dimensional aspect of the negative male psyche. The rapist was JUST a rapist. The Veteran Woman Beater was JUST that. The fakkit was JUST a fakkit. And all the women were victims through and through. And THIS is what a demographic of our culture is entertained by? THIS is in anyway true art? Or is it pandering, stereotypical bullshyt:stopitslime:

THIS is with whom you wanna place your faith??!??

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Perhaps I should've said more "minstrel show" thematics, shucking and jiving, the lowest common denominator of supposed "black" entertainment, perpetuating negative stereotypes without offering any true viable counter or solution. Lazily written, messily directed, cliche' ridden, awfully acted and predictably plotted.
I disagree...

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
I like Tyler perry it seems like black men don't like him because of the way they are betrayed in movies. I can't think of one movie he has done that was unrealistic to how a lot (not all) of black men act. As far as the acting its good to me well some of it. Yes his movies are predictable. But so are a lot of movies. I can't tell you how many thrillers that are known to be great that I have seen and could figure out exactly what would happen.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
The worst cinematic abortion I've ever had the mis-pleasure of seeing was 4 Colored Girls. That movie right there let me know that Tyler Perry was nothing more than a bullshyt artist. The movie's ultimate message was that the Black Man was a savage, beastly, untrustworthy piece of filth that is only out to rape and use the black woman. Don't trust the clean cut brother go has a nice job and the winning smile, he's secretly an INCREDIBLY vicious (not to mention fukking retarded) rapist who will come to your house, leave DNA evidence ALL over the goddamn place and force himself on you:comeon:

Don't trust the black man whose a veteran because apparently the man will toss his OWN children out of a window :beli:

Don't trust the black man whose college educated, has a good Job, and can afford to provide you with a comfortable lifestyle because he's secretly a down low fakkit who will give you Aids:huhldup:

Now onto these black women, a whore, a battered girlfriend, a scorned wife, and a rape victim. By the end of the movie what the fukk kind of revelation about their own lives did they come too? How did they change for the better? What lessons did they learn besides how not to trust the colored men of their own community? Thandie Newton was STILL a whore at the end of it all, she made NO resolutions to change her behavior, even AFTER her sister was seen going down the same path and having to have a back alley abortion. Janet Jackson was still and uppity, pie in the sky, entitled businesswoman with Aids, did she change her behavior? Did she come to the realization that perhaps love and intimacy don't go hand in hand with stature and that what always glitters isn't always gold? Did she learn ANY goddamn thing and all from this? No she was on the roof top quoting some cliche bullshyt poem.

The movie was nothing more than a setting to showcase and exaggerate all the negative aspects of the black community (for shock value) without offering ANY type resolutions for either the characters or audience. It offered not ONE positive depiction of black males or even a complex and three dimensional aspect of the negative male psyche. The rapist was JUST a rapist. The Veteran Woman Beater was JUST that. The fakkit was JUST a fakkit. And all the women were victims through and through. And THIS is what a demographic of our culture is entertained by? THIS is in anyway true art? Or is it pandering, stereotypical bullshyt:stopitslime:

THIS is with whom you wanna place your faith??!??

All the point you made are valid but that movie was based on a book breh! Your qualm should be with that author. Lee Daniels ain't no fukking great black director either, that the same nikka that directed Precious which takes on almost every point you made about T.P. and theButler a movie about nikkas being fukking Butlers :beli:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
All the point you made are valid but that movie was based on a book breh! Your qualm should be with that author. Lee Daniels ain't no fukking great black director either, that the same nikka that directed Precious which takes on almost every point you made about T.P. and theButler a movie about nikkas being fukking Butlers :beli:

Bullshyt. I know the movie was based upon a book but it was adapted for the screen by who? TYLER PERRY! Directed by who? TYLER PERRY! He endorsed it meaning he agreed with the message that vilifying the black man and breaking our characters down to the most vile, evil, disgusting stereotype was a valid form of cinematic commentary and entertainment. DW Griffith adapted The Birth Of A Nation from The Book The Klansmen by Thomas Dixon, meaning that he endorsed and celebrated the portrayal of Black males as murderous rapists and rabid dogs. It's absolutely ZERO difference from what Tyler Perry did and I'm not giving no passes for that shyt. fukk Tyler Perry and anybody that finds his films anything other than a stain on black cinema

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Bullshyt. I know the movie was based upon a book but it was adapted for the screen by who? TYLER PERRY! Directed by who? TYLER PERRY! He endorsed it meaning he agreed with the message that vilifying the black man and breaking our characters down to the most vile, evil, disgusting stereotype was a valid form of cinematic commentary and entertainment. DW Griffith adapted The Birth Of A Nation from The Book The Klansmen by Thomas Dixon, meaning that he endorsed and celebrated the portrayal of Black males as murderous rapists and rabid dogs. It's absolutely ZERO difference from what Tyler Perry did and I'm not giving no passes for that shyt. fukk Tyler Perry and anybody that finds his films anything other than a stain on black cinema
So how did Boyz n the hood and Menace to Society make black men look? White people sure do love those flicks, I wonder why.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
So how did Boyz n the hood and Menace to Society make black men look? White people sure do love those flicks, I wonder why.

Boys in the hood had a balance. Even in the heart of the ghetto you had a father like Furious Styles who was responsible, intelligent, and dedicated to making sure his Son had the mental and physical tools to survive and excel. Trey himself was a multi-dimensional character who wrestled with the harsh realities surrounding his everyday existence and the strong ideals that his father instilled within him. His girlfriend wasn't a whore, she was a smart, ambitious woman who wanted to go to college, his best friends were about that gang life, but it was even show by the end (through the character of doeboy) that they themselves struggled with the realization that thugging and banging only continued to perpetuate the cycle of negativity that exists within the black community (albeit on a rudimentary level)

Same thing with Menace To Society. O-Dog and Caine are two teens from the same walks of life, headed down the same violent and hopeless end, who ultimately make different decisions. Caine learned slowly throughout the course of the film that he'd rather embrace life than live it one day at a time, taking it for granted. Some of his decisions were wrong and some were right, but on the pathway to a certain personal enlightenment his eyes were opened and he came to the understanding that he could be MORE than a thug from the hood. The hood doesn't HAVE to define your every characteristic.

Now where are any of these themes prevalent in 4 colored girls? Where did ANY of them come to an understanding regarding the trials they suffered, and how to positively move forward? Where was the showing of strength? Where was the intelligence? Where was the redemption? NONE of them elevated themselves past the victim mentality that they were wallowing in since the start of the film. And again the black males were simply Villians. A collection of Silas Lynch's for the modern black era with the single minded goal of ruining every black woman's life, they were given NO depth, NO personality, NO dignity. They were simply pathetic savages. THIS is the message of the movie and its goal was to further drive a wedge of distrust between the male and female demographic of the black community.