LATINOS AGE SLOWER THAN OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS, UCLA STUDY SAYS

Michael9100

The Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
houston
"LOS ANGELES, CA --
Latinos age at a slower rate than other ethnic groups, according to a new study recently released by UCLA.

A team of researchers studied DNA samples from nearly 6,000 people using several biomarkers to examine a link to aging.

According to the study, when scientists accounted for differences in cell composition, the blood of Latinos aged more slowly.

"Latinos live longer than Caucasians, despite experiencing higher rates of diabetes and other diseases. Scientists refer to this as the 'Hispanic paradox,'" Steve Horvath, the study's lead author and a professor at UCLA said. "Our study helps explain this by demonstrating that Latinos age more slowly at the molecular level."

Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that in the United States, Latinos live an average of three years longer than Caucasians, with a life expectancyof 82 versus 79.

So what causes Latinos to age slower?

"Our findings strongly suggest that genetic or environmental factors linked to ethnicity may influence how quickly a person ages and how long they live," Horvath explained.

Up next, UCLA researchers plan to identify the molecular mechanism that protects Latinos from aging."

Latinos age slower than other ethnic groups, UCLA study says

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Age slower, what a shytty study.
They don't age slower, they've just found that they have longer lifespans when certain controls are factored in.
I would really like to see where they got the sample from as well.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
"Latinos live longer than Caucasians, despite experiencing higher rates of diabetes and other diseases. Scientists refer to this as the 'Hispanic paradox,'" Steve Horvath, the study's lead author and a professor at UCLA said.

:francis: that's my alma mater brehs. which ones? the caucasian, black, mestizo or amerindian latinos?

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
All I know is I be seeing some fine 20/30/40 something year old latinas in my area with those church clothes on, standing on the corner handing out those Catholic brochures. I gotta brush up on my Spanish so I can spit. I know those Latino dudes go to church just because of the sexy church mamis. They'd rather sip a brew and watch a soccer game instead of putting on those TJ Maxx dress shirts.

Daps
its the mixed genes.....from another study:

The hypothetical happiest American would be a tall, Asian-American man over 65 years old, who lives in Hawaii, is married with children, owns a business, earns a household income of more than $120,000 a year — and is an observant Jew.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
its the mixed genes.....from another study:

The hypothetical happiest American would be a tall, Asian-American man over 65 years old, who lives in Hawaii, is married with children, owns a business, earns a household income of more than $120,000 a year — and is an observant Jew.

Why an Asian lol? :dahell: