L.A.’s Urban Culture, Who Started It?(blks or xcans?)

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Specifically cars like these

the style of dress
images

DmbCDLDW4AMwHjf.jpg

They even stand the same, with that ‘duck feet’ Waldo type stance
snoop-dogg-best-outfits
ab69915956e7c74261854bbce524bc89.jpg

de38ae986267772e5f8cc52ebca4e49d.jpg

3e2a14164e0f0fcfebf85d8cac32c2dc.jpg

Even the girls :mjlol:
images

It’s an easy cop-out to just say that it somehow just magically started and neither can really claim it, but the fact is SOMEBODY did this sh*t first. :comeon:

In NY, the Latinos copy the Blacks, and it is known and it is acknowledged that it is all Black culture first, and then theirs second.

In the south, Latinos just do their own thing altogether.

But on the West Coast y’all are mirror images of one another. :heh:

But how did that happen, and who did it first? Was low riding and khakis and plaid flannels a Black thing first then chicanos caught on? Not trying to start blk vs xcan beef I’ve just always been genuinely curious about this. And then that IG post above with low riders came down my timeline
:jbhmm:

invalid

Banned
Daps
I feel like, at least with respect to car culture, a lot of that started in the south. Places like Memphis, the Sip, Texas. Since a lot of black folks from Cali are originally from those areas, I feel like they brought car culture with them. Definitely, didn’t start with Mexicans.

With respect to the fashion, a lot of that shyt, especially the dikkies outfits, look like prison uniforms. Fashion looked like it was inspired by prison which means both Black and Mexicans could’ve been inspired by that. The flannel shyt may be a Mexican influence though. Can’t see too many black folks in the south wearing flannel and bringing that to Cali.

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Mexican "pachuco" culture was Heavily influenced by 1920s/30s Black Harlem ZOOT SUITS. ZOOT SUITS were invented by a BLACK MAN named Ernest "Skillet" Mayhand
iu
iu
iu
iu

They retained "pachuco" culture and the baggy drapes look continued into workwear.
Workwear was also worn by Black Americans from Texas.
dikkies was Founded in Ft. Worth Texas.
Low rider culture allegedly started in - El Paso, Texas.
Malcom_X_zoot_suit.jpg

Pachucos were mexican copycats
iu
iu

"when raza created" :mjpls:
iu
iu

Dress pants became Khakis. The end.

hatealot

Banned
Daps
I think Mexicans hold the crown. They were there before mass migration of blacks plus their oldest gangs were originated before. Black people migrated.

Yall can hate on Mexicans all you want but they were their first.

Yall insecure nikkas just need to accept that black people ain't start it

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
I read that the dikkies and flannels was an evolution of the zoot suit. It was the cheaper alternative. It was still button ups (flannels) and slacks (khakis). So in essence Black Americans started it.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
But is it really though? Or did they just adopt the style en masse, and then proceeded to run it into the ground over years :jbhmm:
it's stereotypically associated with mexicans

they made that shyte a cultural fixture for them

that uniform & the head to toe yatts

if they have nothing else they got that ha

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Different elements came from different cultures. Lowriders are Mexican. dikkies are Black Southern. Flannel is lower-class white fashion. Specifically for whites, Los Angeles used to have a big working class white population from Oklahoma, Louisiana and Appalachia. Think Grapes of Wrath. They either got assimilated by middle class Midwestern transplants or moved to the Inland Empire by the 70s.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
I think Mexicans hold the crown. They were there before mass migration of blacks plus their oldest gangs were originated before. Black people migrated.

Yall can hate on Mexicans all you want but they were their first.

Yall insecure nikkas just need to accept that black people ain't start it
even west coast artist tip their hats

i don't see or hear anyone really moving around out west tryna downplay or belittle mexicans

it's hard for folks born & raised in spots that don't have majority mexicans to fathom that reality

i let my fam on that side of the map be the authority on how shyte goes

Last edited:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I'ma say both, both are very similar, hard to say who was first and who copied

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Looking at the impact of things like gangsta rap and their “Chicano oldies” I’m more inclined to say afram origin. But I’m from the other side of the map so :manny: