Knives Out Thread (Wake Up Dead Man: Knives Out 3 coming in 2025)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yes cause it's lazy of the writers to use clearly triggering topics to build characters instead of showing some creativity
Those references added nothing to storyline and had no effect on outcome
Definitely added to the storyline. The whole story is about entitlement and this family believing because of their bloodline they’re entitled to certain rights and privileges that someone else from a country they don’t even know. She’s lesser than they are because she doesn’t come from money or from a wealthy lineage.

The patriarch of the family knew she was the only one worth trusting and wanted to do something worthwhile with his money and influence and power. So why not give it to someone who doesn’t expect to get anything simply because the color of her skin or her last name says she should? I think that’s a powerful statement. Is it obvious? Sure. But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth saying

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
Definitely added to the storyline. The whole story is about entitlement and this family believing because of their bloodline they’re entitled to certain rights and privileges that someone else from a country they don’t even know. She’s lesser than they are because she doesn’t come from money or from a wealthy lineage.

The patriarch of the family knew she was the only one worth trusting and wanted to do something worthwhile with his money and influence and power. So why not give it to someone who doesn’t expect to get anything simply because the color of her skin or her last name says she should? I think that’s a powerful statement. Is it obvious? Sure. But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth saying
feelings of "entitlement" isn't relegated to any one identity politic's categories. It can be explored without the same narratives/provocateurs that we are regularly exposed to

Hollywood is suppose to entertain by being creative. Help the viewer to temporarily escape their reality
If they want to creatively share info while entertaining, even better. But blatant pander at the expense of quality writing, all for a buck, shouldn't be tolerated

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
feelings of "entitlement" isn't relegated to any one identity politic's categories. It can be explored without the same narratives/provocateurs that we are regularly exposed to

Hollywood is suppose to entertain by being creative. Help the viewer to temporarily escape their reality
If they want to creatively share info while entertaining, even better. But blatant pander at the expense of quality writing, all for a buck, shouldn't be tolerated
Don’t think that pandered or lessened the writing. Made me like the movie actually. Creative arts should also be used for an artist to express how they feel about whatever. Whether it’s politics or history or anything they feel. If you have something to say, use your art to say it. And all art is saying something even if it’s making the blatant attempt not to say anything

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
Don’t think that pandered or lessened the writing. Made me like the movie actually. Creative arts should also be used for an artist to express how they feel about whatever. Whether it’s politics or history or anything they feel. If you have something to say, use your art to say it. And all art is saying something even if it’s making the blatant attempt not to say anything

A blatant attempt to not say anything when able to only hints a writer prioritizes their artistic expression over audiences' perception

You liking it because you agree with the pandering message
  • ...a daughter of an illegal immigrant so pure that she finds it difficult to lie and be selfish, working for a rich white person with selfish kids...
If the "Creative arts " instead depicted
  • ... a daughter of an illegal immigrant being selfish and feeling entitled because she perceives her mother's struggles as unnecessary. So she lies and steals while working for a rich white person with unselfish kids...
now, you may not like the movie as much anymore. But my views for the movie wouldn't change because those human attributes are universal

the movie still progresses and outcome doesn't change if...a US citizen with legal immigrated parents from Norway is depicted as pure, who finds it difficult to lie and be selfish, working for a rich Black person with selfish kids...
OR
a hard working woman is depicted as pure, who finds it difficult to lie and be selfish, working for a rich person with selfish kids...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
A blatant attempt to not say anything when able to only hints a writer prioritizes their artistic expression over audiences' perception

You liking it because you agree with the pandering message
  • ...a daughter of an illegal immigrant so pure that she finds it difficult to lie and be selfish, working for a rich white person with selfish kids...
If the "Creative arts " instead depicted
  • ... a daughter of an illegal immigrant being selfish and feeling entitled because she perceives her mother's struggles as unnecessary. So she lies and steals while working for a rich white person with unselfish kids...
now, you may not like the movie as much anymore. But my views for the movie wouldn't change because those human attributes are universal

the movie still progresses and outcome doesn't change if...a US citizen with legal immigrated parents from Norway is depicted as pure, who finds it difficult to lie and be selfish, working for a rich Black person with selfish kids...
OR
a hard working woman is depicted as pure, who finds it difficult to lie and be selfish, working for a rich person with selfish kids...
I think there’s enough subtext there with that stuff to still like the movie even if you don’t get that stuff or hear it or even want to hear it.

I’d probably still like the movie but it would be a completely different movie

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
Glad I caught this in theaters. Daniel Craig killed it, nice plot twist. Me and my girl love Sherlock so going to see this was a no brainer

Conz

Superstar
Daps
It was said before the movie dropped and when the movie dropped that if there were more, it would be about Benoit Blanc. Always looking for something negative to say about every damn thing:camby:

:yeshrug:Kentucky Fried Craig is one of the most overrated performances of the year, but naturally that would be the spinoff character.

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
Saw this last night and it was a damn good movie. The Col. Sanders accent was a bit too much but the storyline was great. :patrice:Anyone thought that the fact that Benoit figured out that Ana was able to tell which medicine was which by their weights was a bit of a stretch? Couldn’t different volumes in each bottle at different times make that difficult to discern?

P.S. Toni Colette is one haggard looking bish