Knives Out Thread (Wake Up Dead Man: Knives Out 3 coming in 2025)

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watched this over the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. They definitely leaned harder on the comedy than the first one, but it seems like this had more of a goal to be a satire of recent events and public figures than the first one. In a just world, this would give Janelle Monae's acting career at least a little boost the same way the first one did Ana de Armas, but we all know that shyt probably isn't happening. :mjpls:

I like that Blanc is more of the "detective that seemingly does nothing at all, but puts everything together in seemingly two seconds" type than the "smartest man in the room at all times" type.

The first movie did a better job of effectively explaining why everyone in the family was a piece of shyt than this one did. Batista and Kate Hudson (and ger assistant) were pretty obvious. Kathryn Hahn's flaw was telegraphed with how hard she was going on climate change in her CNN interview at the beginning, but you don't get the payoff for her being a fraud until the second half that recontextualizes everything. And Leslie Odom doesn't truly get painted in a negative light until around the same time.

Setting the movie in the early days of the pandemic kind've didn't make sense to me by the end of the movie. I get that it set up that Blanc would be willing to take a consultation because he was bored. But they have that scene where they get on the boat, and Ethan Hawke shows up with a magic spray that apparently makes the Rona a non issue when that shyt was catching Wilt Chamberlain levels of bodies. fukk pushing hard to launch renewable energy, even an idiot like Ed Norton's character would realize that THAT was the real "change the world" product to get behind. Just seemed silly to have that be a major plot point of the first 15 minutes or so, and then just handwave it away with a two minute cameo.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Watched this over the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. They definitely leaned harder on the comedy than the first one, but it seems like this had more of a goal to be a satire of recent events and public figures than the first one. In a just world, this would give Janelle Monae's acting career at least a little boost the same way the first one did Ana de Armas, but we all know that shyt probably isn't happening. :mjpls:

I like that Blanc is more of the "detective that seemingly does nothing at all, but puts everything together in seemingly two seconds" type than the "smartest man in the room at all times" type.

The first movie did a better job of effectively explaining why everyone in the family was a piece of shyt than this one did. Batista and Kate Hudson (and ger assistant) were pretty obvious. Kathryn Hahn's flaw was telegraphed with how hard she was going on climate change in her CNN interview at the beginning, but you don't get the payoff for her being a fraud until the second half that recontextualizes everything. And Leslie Odom doesn't truly get painted in a negative light until around the same time.

Setting the movie in the early days of the pandemic kind've didn't make sense to me by the end of the movie. I get that it set up that Blanc would be willing to take a consultation because he was bored. But they have that scene where they get on the boat, and Ethan Hawke shows up with a magic spray that apparently makes the Rona a non issue when that shyt was catching Wilt Chamberlain levels of bodies. fukk pushing hard to launch renewable energy, even an idiot like Ed Norton's character would realize that THAT was the real "change the world" product to get behind. Just seemed silly to have that be a major plot point of the first 15 minutes or so, and then just handwave it away with a two minute cameo.
I thought that scene was just to show how rich people were acting during that the peak of covid and thought their money would protect them. that spray was nothing special at all. it was just something someone already sold to them as a "covid killer spray"

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Just watched Knives Out last night. A while back I'd tried to watch it and it bored the shyt out of me. I gave it another shot last night and the first 30 minutes or so still didn't do it for me. But I persevered and I'm glad I did. The last act of the movie is really good and I enjoyed it. Gonna check out Glass Onion next.

KRayner

All Star
Daps
1st was better but i enjoyed this one
people were saying the new one was trash