Knives Out Thread (Wake Up Dead Man: Knives Out 3 coming in 2025)

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Enjoyed the 1st flick so I'm definitely here for this one. Might even try to catch it in the theaters if it shows up

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I saw this last month at a premiere in Newport Beach, it's ironic because I, probably more so than many of the people who will watch, know and like the source of it's satire, and inspiration. The Agantha Christie mysteries, 10 Little Indians, and the countless other authors and stories which followed.

Also, the vaguely slasher esque mysteries of sprawling mansions and eccentric suspects, all very much captured in dozens of TV shows, and movies in the 1960s/1990s, all stuff I love. But, Knives Out felt mostly flat to me, aside from some moments and some funny performances, or just the pleasure in seeing Craig, and Don Johnson having fun.

The mystery wasn't really solvable, the solution too obtuse and complex, but aside from that, there was no real tension, and the laughs were slight to middling, making it a very hard movie to invest much in. Roger Ebert talked about a movie playing fair with audiences in terms of a WHODUNIT, and whether the movie actually gave the audience a decent chance to ID the killer, OR just confused, and beguiled the audience with red herrings/mis direction and essentially impossible to know solutions. This movie for sure falls in that category.

Yet, maybe that's beside the point. However, as a satire, a White Lotus style send up of the wealthy, it lacks edge, and as a real mystery it doesn't deliver. So, again, production value aside, and the fun of watching Norton, Craig, Ethan Hawke, and Kate Hudson, it never really rises above an mildly enjoyable time. The finale is chaotic and uninspired, and by the time he movie was over, I was about 50 minutes past the enjoyability factor.

Last edited:
Daps
re' up,
See I liked See How They Run. I took it for what it was which was a small comedy whodunnit that goes down easy. I want to see Glass Onion mainly because there isn't anything else out that I am interested in seeing at the moment. And after the holidays I am fearing another months long drought of good movies on the horizon.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I randomly guessed who but didn't know the why how etc

Pretty good follow up to knives out

blanc solving the first mystery instantly was :russ:

The way they structured this one was pretty cool but did kinda kill the audience way to solve it

The mystery box in the beginning was dope as hell

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I will say it was much better than the near unwatchable See Them Run, which I saw last month. That was unbearably dull.
It was good but the victim had the most personality out of the entire cast. I think it would have been better if they had casted the actor as the detective. He was more charismatic than the lead. Meanwhile Rockwell can be insufferable.

1) They didn’t give away the fact the murderer was a man by showing the murder. It completely removed the women suspects.

2) the actual killer was a larger part of the story. Like the clues were so small it’s almost impossible to call it a whodunit.

3) The leads had actual chemistry or they showed more of their lives outside of work. Also the humor didn’t hit. They should have tried to be more Hot Fuzz and less Knives Out.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Not as good as the first but I dug what this one said more.

A billionaire has his hands in a lot of industry. I think that’s the real point of the movie. Also the film is about deception.

And they did tell you who did it, and way more clearly than the first one.

Last edited: