Kendrick Lamar: "I've Always Studied All Of 50 Cent's Music & Interviews", Kendrick Interviews TEMS For InterviewMagazine.Com

LieutenantDan

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
F4tl-YFX0AYK_2u

LAMAR: Speaking of the success that you had, do you feel any pressure to conform to what people may expect from you? Or do you still have that intuition to say, “I’m going to do what I feel regardless of how it pans out?”

TEMS: Yeah, you have to remember how you felt when you started as an artist, to understand the reason you’re doing what you’re doing. Yes, it’s to be seen, or to make a name for yourself, but beyond that, why are you doing it? Most of the time it’s because you have a story to share, a message to give. When you become more known or seen, it’s very easy to get caught up in, “What do people expect of me now?” But for me, it’s like, “What do I expect of myself now?” Because you’re the one that has to live with yourself, the one that has to sleep with the decisions that you make. Trusting yourself is so key, and I’m not going to stop trusting my guts just because people can see me now. It’s like being in a zoo. The animals don’t change their behavior just because you’re looking at them. They’re always going to be who they are. So why should I change?

LAMAR: And people can feel it, too. They know when something is authentic and when it’s not. With how you’re thinking you’ll be just fine. It’s tough for a lot of artists, man, to have that mindset, because there are so many pressures out here with all the politics and standards that we think we have to live up to, but to have the instincts that you have, that’s truly inspiring.

TEMS: What I’m concerned about is not being able to tap into that place anymore just because I betrayed myself, and that’s why I have to stick with my gut. Because how do you go back after betraying your trust?

LAMAR: Exactly. Do you feel you’ve made any mistakes or had any regrets along the journey within these last five years?

TEMS: So many things.

LAMAR: Do you try to throw it away and not put too much energy towards it? Or do you use it as fuel in order to make the next decision for yourself?

TEMS: I use it as fuel. Every time I feel like I shouldn’t have done something, I’ve noticed that things always sort themselves out. The thing about making mistakes is there’s grace. We’re all going to make mistakes, but what happens when you do?

LAMAR: That’s so true. I want to know, how do you distinguish between Tems the artist versus Tems the person in your daily life? Is it something new you’re still trying to figure out, or something you got a grasp on?

TEMS: When I started being a professional artist, I made an agreement with myself that I’m also Tems. Tems is Temilade. I’m both of them. There isn’t a distinction for me. I know to the outside world, it must be like, “There’s Tems the artist, and Temilade must be a dumbed-down version.” But I’m Tems all the time, and I’m Temilade all the time, because I’m not just one thing. I don’t distinguish them because that creates a cognitive dissonance.

LAMAR: That sounds like the Gemini talking right there. Loud and clear.

TEMS: Was it your birthday recently?

LAMAR: Yeah, June 17th. When was yours? Early June, right?

TEMS: June 11th.

LAMAR: That’s right. Happy belated.

TEMS: Same to you, man.

LAMAR: Now, I’ve always studied 50 Cent’s music and watched his interviews, and someone asked if he was a conscious artist. He said, “Yeah, I’m a conscious artist because I have a conscience.” That shyt blew me away. It gave me a different perspective—50 drops a lot of jewels that give me perspective, but that one right there gave me a sense of, okay, a lot of artists live and know how to project duality. That’s the true gift, because that’s what life is about in its wholeness. When I seen that I said, “I can relate to that,” and what you’re saying is confirmation that that’s still alive. It’s really dope to hear another artist say it. Lets us know we not crazy.

TEMS: Nah, we’re not. That’s why I’m always learning, because I want to know how to simplify things to the point where I have peace of mind. Your mind is the first place that you have to overcome.

Kendrick is talking about 50 Cent's iTunes Before I Self Destruct Interview or 50 Cent In XXL interviewing Talib Kweli

9:00

50-interview.jpeg

50: People consider you “conscious” rap. If they put the labels on us, they gonna consider me “gangsta” rap. Is there a difference to you?

Talib: I feel a couple of ways about it. “Conscious” means being honest about your craft and honest about your experiences. If you awake, you conscious, you conscious about what’s going on. You make decisions and you make choices that run your life. How do we define if somebody is a “conscious” artist or a “gangsta” artist? It’s not something that artists or people who are fans of the music came up with. It’s something that the media and the corporations came up with to sell it. And the problem with it is there might be fans who might benefit from hearing a “Many Men” or hearing something that 50 got on his album. Life the fans who be like, “He gangsta,” or “He commercial now, he sold such and such records.” And it’s the same with me. Like a fan of 50 might not check for me because they might be like, “Oh he’s a conscious rapper and I ain’t on that conscious shyt, so obviously he ain’t got nothing to offer me.” Like, “Whatever he has to say has to be geared to me,” and that’s a huge problem. That limits the artists and that limits the audience, so we cant really participate in that. In the beginning of my career, the first thing that people used to ask me was, “What you think of Puffy? What you think of Jay-Z?” As if I had a relationship with these nikkas or something like that. I ain’t know none of these nikkas. You know what I’m saying? I though of them like any music fan would, but people wanted me to justify what they was doing. People always come to me and ask me what I think about the war, when 50 Cent might have a valid opinion of what he things about the war.

50: That’s real. I mean, for the record, I would like to be considered a conscious rapper. I know what I’m saying when I’m saying it. It’s just that I’m saying it because that’s what it is. That’s the situation.

Talib: And you deal with the responsibilities and the consequences.

50: I’m jealous of that. I would like people to think that I am conscious. I think people think I’m crazy instead of conscious. ‘Cause when I get into a conversation with them, when I go to business meetings, I have to smile more to make people feel a little more comfortable. In some meetings I go to, I take my vest off before I go into the room. But the reality of it is, to be comfortable- with the lifestyle that I come from- I need that on. I should have that vest on. That vest could have saved Tupac’s life in that car, or it could have saved Biggie’s life in that car.

Talib: Word is bond. I’m a fan of everybody who doing it and who making it. But I notice that when a lot of artists get on, they stop paying attention to what other nikkas is doing.

50: Oh yeah!

Talib: I try to read every article, especially if I like what somebody’s music is coming with. And the first thing I notice when I read articles about you, 50, is the interviewer- whether its from Time magazine or Entertainment Weekly or a hip-hop publication- is always talking about, “Oh he smiles. He’s a nice guy.” As if they are completely shocked.

50: Yeah, like they think I’m suppose to be crazy. And, like, you can go on certain shows, like Jimmy Kimmel and Saturday Night Live and the joke’s automatically suppose to be on you, because you supposed to be so thugged-out from your experiences and so hard that you can’t have a sense of humor.

Talib: I feel you, I feel what you are saying.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Classic 50 quote that cut through a lot of unfair bullshyt. Say what you will about 50, and I've never been a big fan of his, he was 100% right about that.

That's a dope Kendrick interview of Tems btw. Dude out here asking way better questions to a fellow artist than actual music personalities and journalists.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Couple observations…

1. Why is kendrick talking so much as the interviewer :heh:

2. Talib was WAY ahead of the game being an artist interviewing another artist