Keke Palmer Says She Felt 'Trapped' by Nickelodeon Fame: 'Like I Was Walking Around in a SpongeBob Suit'

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
Keke Palmer Says She Felt 'Trapped' by Nickelodeon Fame: 'Like I Was Walking Around in a SpongeBob Suit'
Keke Palmer starred in her first Disney Channel movie Jump In at age 12 before playing the title role in Nickelodeon's True Jackson, VP from 2008 to 2011
keke palmer
Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty
Published on November 17, 2022 11:52 AM

Not all of Keke Palmer's memories from her as a child star are positive ones.

The Nope star explained why being on Nickelodeon boxed her in as an actress who could make a name for herself.

Palmer, now 29, specifically remembers being offered an all-expenses-paid vacation on the (now defunct) Nickelodeon Cruises at age 15. Though she understood the trip would require her to spend a few hours signing autographs, Palmer thought the cruise would offer a mostly carefree opportunity to bond with her family. Instead, Palmer spent the majority of the trip in her hotel room.

"I felt like I was walking around in a SpongeBob suit that I couldn't take off," Palmer told The Hollywood Reporter.

"I was trapped," said Palmer, who starred in the title role of the 2008–2011 series True Jackson, VP. "I couldn't leave my room without someone coming up to me calling me True Jackson. What you are, to everyone, is just a character … just part of their experience."

Keke Palmer
Chris Pizzello/AP/Shutterstock

It's safe to say Palmer is a season veteran when it comes to fame — she's been a working actress since starring in the the 2007 Disney Channel original movie Jump Inwhen she was 12 years old.

But her experience feeling objectified as a result of her career has carried into adulthood as she's taken on more mature projects including Alice, Hustlers and Masters of Sex. And the way fans approach her continues to strike her as odd.

"A couple of weeks ago, I was in Arizona with my boyfriend and his dad for an Eagles game," she added. "We ended up at a Dave & Buster's and somebody was like, 'What are you doing here?' Same reason as you, dude! Playing games and winning tickets. Where else do you expect me to do that?"

She's also spoken out about being compared to other actresses who've followed a similar career trajectory — specifically, she addressed the implicit racial bias of some viewers likening her to Euphoria (and former K.C. Undercover) star Zendaya.

"A great example of colorism is to believe I can be compared to anyone," she tweeted in July, touching on colorism in Hollywood. "I'm the youngest talk show host ever. The first Black woman to star in her own show on Nickelodeon, & the youngest & first Black Cinderella on broadway. I'm an incomparable talent. Baby, THIS, is Keke Palmer."

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Everyone always gotta tell us how weird it was to have early success, even if they weren’t made to do creepy shyt :stopitslime:

I was expecting something worse, but she just hated the fact that everyone saw her as her character and not herself. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of kids there, so them calling her True Jackson makes a lot of sense. What else are they going to see her as?

I get her frustration, but a lot of actors go through that. Especially since she was the star.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
It's understandable for former child stars to feel trapped in that category. Like people are going to start having weird reactions to someone like Millie Bobby Brown doing non-child stuff at some point. People still going to see her as the little girl from Stranger Things. Just had a thread in TLR about the girl from Blackish being over 18 now.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
It's understandable for former child stars to feel trapped in that category. Like people are going to start having weird reactions to someone like Millie Bobby Brown doing non-child stuff at some point. People still going to see her as the little girl from Stranger Things. Just had a thread in TLR about the girl from Blackish being over 18 now.

I saw a trailer for this movie she's producing and she still looks like she's 14. It's that Skai Jackson effect where they keep aging, but already stopped growing.