Just saw "Chevalier" (minor spoilers)

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

So I planned on seeing Joaquim Phoenix new movie but after I saw the length I knew I would fall asleep :flabbynsick: on a work day. So I saw this. It star the ngga who played Luce. I liked him as a actor so I decided to see it. Movie started off with straight action (he battling a goat musician in a 8 Mile type of way). Kinda surprised me because I thought it would start off being dialogue heavy (which later it was at parts) Basically bro is the product rich white man and slave (we know that as rape) in France. He wanted him to have a better life so he sent him to boarding school to enhance his violin skills. Fast forward he rises to prominence. However, he blind to racism in some sense and gets several ngga wake-up calls. When it comes to women he likes that French Vanilla like Method Man and as you guess that brings a whole world of trouble. But again, being mixed and privileged he's blind.

Eventually he evolves but that really the point until near the end of the movie. This movie about his music and his identity as Black man in high society.

Positive: Music is dope, camera work, various cuts are dope. I'm not a romance person but it was ok. Definitely got into some messiness which was entertaining.

Negative: If you read the real story, it's hard to accept this version. Ngga in real life def had some revolutionary vibes. This version he's a typical mixed dude who thinks hard work erases being Black. You see some "wokeness" at one point in the story. But to me it wasn't enough. They focused way too much on building a love story.

But bottom line, it was a good short story. I have no idea why they didn't release this at Oscar time. This seems like an Oscar bait film. Biography, slavery as a backdrop. Hmm. I don't think the studio had much confidence it would be successful.

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
thanks…while watching elvis, I wanted to confirm if he was the same actor from godfather of harlem…came across promo for this movie while looking at IMDb…caught my attention but didn’t know if it’d be good or not…I’ll check out a few more reviews then wait to stream it if I decide to watch it

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@valet and @VoxSphere74 Yeah you two right my biggest problem with this movie is that they did not make him as bad ass has is real life counterpart
The Greatest African American and Afro-American Martial Artists in History
Joseph Bologne, the Chevalier de Saint-Georges (1745–1799), was one of the most famous fencers and renaissance men of the 18th century. He was born in the Carribean; his mother was an African slave named Nanon, and his father, wealthy white planter George Bologne de Saint-George, sent him to France for his education. From his teenage years he was famous for his accuracy and quickness with a sword, and Henry Angelo (son of the famous smallsword master) praised both his skill and sportsmanship. He won many matches, including one against a Rouen fencing master who insulted his race, and another with a Captain of Hussars who boasted to some ladies that he could beat Saint Georges without realizing that the man himself was in earshot. He became an abolitionist who attracted the hatred of people in the slave trade, and successfully defended himself against more than one attack by thugs armed with pistols. Saint George also commanded, as colonel, the first all-black military regiment in Europe, a unit that came to be known as St. Georges’ Légion.

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

So I planned on seeing Joaquim Phoenix new movie but after I saw the length I knew I would fall asleep :flabbynsick: on a work day. So I saw this. It star the ngga who played Luce. I liked him as a actor so I decided to see it. Movie started off with straight action (he battling a goat musician in a 8 Mile type of way). Kinda surprised me because I thought it would start off being dialogue heavy (which later it was at parts) Basically bro is the product rich white man and slave (we know that as rape) in France. He wanted him to have a better life so he sent him to boarding school to enhance his violin skills. Fast forward he rises to prominence. However, he blind to racism in some sense and gets several ngga wake-up calls. When it comes to women he likes that French Vanilla like Method Man and as you guess that brings a whole world of trouble. But again, being mixed and privileged he's blind.

Eventually he evolves but that really the point until near the end of the movie. This movie about his music and his identity as Black man in high society.

Positive: Music is dope, camera work, various cuts are dope. I'm not a romance person but it was ok. Definitely got into some messiness which was entertaining.

Negative: If you read the real story, it's hard to accept this version. Ngga in real life def had some revolutionary vibes. This version he's a typical mixed dude who thinks hard work erases being Black. You see some "wokeness" at one point in the story. But to me it wasn't enough. They focused way too much on building a love story.

But bottom line, it was a good short story. I have no idea why they didn't release this at Oscar time. This seems like an Oscar bait film. Biography, slavery as a backdrop. Hmm. I don't think the studio had much confidence it would be successful.

I know the writer, lol at the wokeness angle.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Took the whole fam to see it this week.

Brehs definitely should watch this one in theaters.

:salute:to the director and writers for this one.

honestly this breh can have 3 whole movies made on his life, 1 fencing, 2 music (this one), 3 military

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Think I'll do a double feature with evil dead since that one ain't too Iong next week

Bondye Vodou

Proud practitioner of the "High Science"
Daps
Was there any sword fighting scening/fencing scenes? Heard he was the GOAT during that time.