Just got into grad school....Need some advice coli brehs

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just got my acceptance. Got into my preferred school after months of interviews and app process.

Im looking at 80-100K in student loans in the end... not sure if Id be making the right choice

Got about 30k saved just from the last 5 years of work..I could just keep working and put off an advanced degree... But the degree Im going for leads to a career of 90-110K salary for first year grads.

Any advice for a breh, should I go for it. :lupe:

Another 4 years of homework & exams :sadcam:

what school is it, it better be ivy league status for that much.

Llcoolbay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
St Louis Rams!!!!!
If you serious about it, The Student Loans will be worth it when that Pay Check comes in.

If you start feeling its not worth it and start slipping, back out before you end up with debt and no Masters Degree

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
That debt is a big pill to swallow.

I got my Masters degree, (focus in Economics) at 26, and got a pay bump to just over $70k, two years after getting my bachelors and starting at $54k. All that education came debt free, that's the only reason I pursued it. (I crested $100k this year but that's combined income, you could pull that from just your day job as a professional.)

But 100 grand to pay back? We had this discussion in another thread where people were arguing that becoming a PhD was not worth it. A pharmacy director here in IL earns ~$160k so about the time you're 45 you would be seeing that type of money.

If you're cool with biting the bullet until you're that age, Id say go for it and hope it all works out.

Last edited:

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps
Just got my acceptance. Got into my preferred school after months of interviews and app process.

Im looking at 80-100K in student loans in the end... not sure if Id be making the right choice

Got about 30k saved just from the last 5 years of work..I could just keep working and put off an advanced degree... But the degree Im going for leads to a career of 90-110K salary for first year grads.

Any advice for a breh, should I go for it. :lupe:

Another 4 years of homework & exams :sadcam:

you must be doing pharmacy so congrats breh

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps

I got my Masters degree, (in Economics) at 26, and got a pay bump to just over $70k, two years after getting my bachelors and starting at $54k. All that education came debt free, that's the only reason I pursued it. (I crested $100k this year but that's combined income, you could pull that from just your day job as a professional.)

But 100 grand to pay back? We had this discussion in another thread where people were arguing that becoming a PhD was not worth it. A pharmacy director here in IL earns ~$160k so about the time you're 45 you would be seeing that type of money.

If you're cool with biting the bullet until you're that age, Id say go for it and hope it all works out.

that's why CRNA is dope t me. starting at 135-150k then up to 300k with experience/partnership is worth 100k loan but trust me breh, pharmacists do eat

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
that's why CRNA is dope t me. starting at 135-150k then up to 300k with experience/partnership is worth 100k loan but trust me breh, pharmacists do eat

OP is going to be 35 when he's done though that's the thing. He's several years older than me, so I know if that was me, Id just take my bachelors and do the best I could with that. I wouldn't start to make good on my investment until I'm 45, and even then I'd only be working for another ~15 years. That's not worth it to me, I'd like to live my life and enjoy my youth and the money I have. That's why I say if he wants to do it, that's up to him. This is some heavy personal decision making.

That thread where we were arguing about becoming a doctor/dentist was somewhat different, because those guys clear $200k+ and come out at ~28/29.

Pharm guys at the top 10% pull ~$180k(the chief of pharmacy in Wash. DC pulls $155k), and he's going to be 7 years behind the curve and in debt.

Lot of things could happen.:manny:

But OP, you could meet your wife in the program, both of you's guys come out together, get good jobs and tackle debt together, get married and have kids and start a trend of excellence. :blessed:

Last edited:

rogue_riezo

Les Enfants Terribles
Daps
Breh anything you do to expand your certs is :salute:.Throwing away all those months of interviews and the laborious application process.

Go far enough and we're gonna have to refer to you as Dr. @2stainz.

Handsback

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I got my Masters degree, (focus in Economics) at 26, and got a pay bump to just over $70k, two years after getting my bachelors and starting at $54k. All that education came debt free, that's the only reason I pursued it. (I crested $100k this year but that's combined income, you could pull that from just your day job as a professional.)

I'm applying to grad school programs in Econ right now. :lupe:

Mind if I ask how it went and what you do?

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
You should go and finish up because you have to look at the long run. The baby boomers are getting older and they will need more pharmacists and plus the salary will increase.

My mentor back in school own a private pharmacy and was making bank; I was studying to take the pcat; but had to stop. Do it.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
For certain fields, you need to degree...pharmacy being one, so it makes the loan worth it, but don't underestimate the burden they can become, but fukk it the government ain't going no where so no reason to feel rushed in paying them back...punk muthafukkas :birdman:

:to:

pimpineasy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With interest rates so low I'm sure the npv is positive. Only thing to consider is the opportunity cost. Apart from that I say def go for it

Meadow

celestial cyborg
Daps
Damn, American tuition is harsh

:skip:

Any scholarship/grant/bursary opportunities, OP?

I'm planning to work my way up to my PhD and still won't be in that type of debt after my education...

Come to Canada, brehs.