June is National Soul Food Month

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

NATIONAL SOUL FOOD MONTH​

National Soul Food Month in June is steeped in tradition, tracing its heritage back generations.

While soul food and southern cooking may often be compared, African-American slaves developed soul food's distinct character by creating outstanding meals from less-than-desirable cuts of meat and produce. Whether the meal consisted of fried meats and vegetables or bbq and baked goods, the meals served to nourish the body and the fellowship that accompanied it nourished the soul.

According to culinaryhistorians.org, the term "soul food" made its appearance and became popular in the 1960s, giving a name to the flavorful foods, often fried in pork fat, that were becoming known in kitchens and restaurants in cities across the country.

However, soul food doesn't have to laden with fat. Fresh from the southern garden, it can be just as flavorful as it can be light. Many of the old recipes are new again with spices and herbs and pinches of the old traditions.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Take a tour through soul food heritage. Graze the flavors and spices of the heritage. Have a conversation while you're at it and feed your soul. Listen to the history of the food, where it's traveled, how it's changed through the years. Visit culinaryhistorians.org to learn more.

HISTORY
Charla Draper founded National Soul Food Month in 2001 to celebrate the rich history of soul food.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:banderas: In honor of this glorious month if you ever visit Queens. I would like to recommend

“Far Rockaway fishouse” or “Two Southern sisters”.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In Nashville there is

Swett's

&

Silver Sand's Cafe

There are a bunch of others according to the below link, but the those two above are the two that I know about.

When I lived in Chicago I used to eat at Edna's but she passed away. I think that it called Ruby's now.

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
boy-crying.gif
martin-lawrence-food.gif

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Think I'll look for some collards this week. Miss being able to get them straight out of the earth from my granny's garden

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can y'all list some Soul Food restaurants in your towns? I travel sometimes and I like to hit up our spots.