‘John Wick’ Director Chad Stahelski Teases Third Film, TV Spin-Off

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
johnwick-keanureeves-biggun-700x337.jpg

John Wick and its sequel, John Wick: Chapter 2 were unexpected critical and box office hits, so naturally, people keep asking director Chad Stahelski if we’re going back to the wild and violent world of John Wick. And Stahelski confirms, yeah, he’s thinking we’ll go back. (Don’t hate me, I know the joke is bad.)

The stuntman-turned-director gave an update on the status of the third movie in what he hopes will be a trilogy, John Wick: Chapter 3, as well as the possibility of expanding the underground assassin world seen in the movies through a television series.

Stahelski spoke to The Independent about the release of John Wick: Chapter 2 on Blu-ray and dished on plans for the third film and a possible TV spin-off.

While Chapter 3 isn’t quite off the ground yet — Stahelski wryly joked that they’re in “that magic spot called development, but it’s going OK” — he and the rest of the John Wick team, including screenwriter Derek Kolstad and John Wick himself, Keanu Reeves, have been “very involved, story-wise and character-wise.” He explained:

“We’re all very invested in this world. It’s a very collaborative, creative team. We have a lot of discussions about it. We’re pretty much knee-deep in it.

We are going to put in something about the High Table, how that all works. We’re going to put in something about where John comes from, and where he wants to go. I don’t want to say too much more, but it will be a nice completion to Mr Wick’s journey.”

A completion? Then does that mean Chapter 3 will be the end for John Wick’s journey? Yes, Stahelski responded, saying that he plans to finish the John Wick series as a trilogy, though that may ultimately be up to the studio.

But fear not! That may not be the end for the colorful, vibrant world of assassins that we were introduced to in the John Wick movies. One of the most revelatory elements of the 2014 original and its larger sequel was the world-building – it’s revealed that an expansive network of assassins operate unseen throughout the world, living by a very specific code of rules. (/Film’s own Jacob Hall dove into the particulars of why this works so very well.) A TV series would be the perfect place to explore that, albeit on a more limited budget.

Stahelski confirmed that a TV spin-off is in talks, telling The Independent, “Lionsgate is working on that right now. That’s up and running. That could be fun.” He explained;

“There are a lot of ideas being thrown around right now. A lot of people working on it. I don’t know if they’ve locked in a consensus yet. But they have some very good people on it.”
Stahelski’s focus at the moment is on Chapter 3, but he does want to be involved in a TV series if it does come to fruition.

What do you think? Would you watch a John Wick-inspired TV series, even if it doesn’t star Keanu Reeves?

Director Chad Stahelski Gives a John Wick 3 Update

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Last I heard they said they would start filming at the end of this year or early next year.
They said Chad wanted the film in NYC, one producer wanted it to film in China, and Keanu wanted to film in Jerusalem.
Either way I can't wait, hopefully the other pair of the first movie can come back and finish it together with the original crew that started it.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
TV spinoff will fail like Taken, Lethal Weapon, and other movie to TV transitions.

It failed? Got a season 2, one of the biggest shows ratings wise of the new season, and gets some love from critics and cats on this site. I feel like you're generalizing on that one:ufdup: watch that tone

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
It failed? Got a season 2, one of the biggest shows ratings wise of the new season, and gets some love from critics and cats on this site. I feel like you're generalizing on that one
Didn't see hype on here. :ld:

I assumed on all of them. :steviej:

I guess LW is the exception because it mixes action with comedy. Those shows are destined to last more than a season.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Didn't see hype on here. :ld:

I assumed on all of them. :steviej:

I guess LW is the exception because it mixes action with comedy. Those shows are destined to last more than a season.

We got a thread around here somewhere. But the last episode aired in April breh lol I don't see us populating that thread in June. It's not a big show on here but the cats who love it do love it and everyone who gave it a chance ended up loving it. Wayans and the new cat playing Riggs have great chemistry and the show manages to get back to a bit of the darkness and spirit of the first and second movie before it forgot some of that in the 3rd and 4th. There's a benefit to seeing their relationship grow over weeks and Riggs deal with his wife's death over weeks and come to grips with whatever he needs to come to grips with. shyt is kinda heartbreaking at times.

Never assume again:ufdup:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Even when it was airing I didn't see the hype thrown around here.

I searched for the thread and it only did 9 pages. :ld:

@MartyMcFly

Like I said breh lol "It's not a big show on here but the cats who love it do love it and everyone who gave it a chance ended up loving it." my exact words--which is why i quoted myself like a silly ass--but as I've said before, a show popping on the coli doesn't mean it's great nor does it mean its bad. It's 9 pages but we all loved the shyt rather than having no pages or 100 pages and 60 of those pages are dudes bytching and moaning about everything always all the time.

Plus the shyt got good ratings so i don't think fox cared whether a thread on the coli was overflowing to give them the gold seal of approval. :manny: It's dope, give it a shot.