All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
John Lasseter Taking Leave of Absence From Pixar Amid "Missteps"
12:07 PM PST 11/21/2017 by Kim Masters

• EMAIL ME
  • PRINT
  • a story detailing alleged misconduct by the executive at Disney/Pixar.

Lasseter is best known as one of the founders of Pixar, which began as a part of the graphics group at Lucasfilm. Along with Ed Catmull, he popularized CGI in animation with early films like Toy Story, A Bug's Life and Monster's Inc.

In 2006, after Disney purchased Pixar, Lasseter was named the chief creative officer of both Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. He has since become the face of all Disney animation, overseeing the recent resurgence of the studio's namesake brand with properties like Frozen and Moana.

Lasseter, who directed Toy Story and Toy Story 2 among other Pixar films, produces or executive produces every Pixar project and he executive produces every WDA feature. While Lasseter has only won two Oscars (one is a specialty Oscar for his work on Toy Story), Pixar has racked up an impressive eight best animated feature wins. Under Lasseter's purview, WDA has picked up three wins, most recently with last year's Zootopia.

Pixar films have grossed over $6 billion at the domestic box office. The Emeryville-based company is set to release their next feature, Coco, this week. Pixar is currently working on a sequel to The Incredibles and the fourth Toy Story installment. WDA will release the Wreck It Ralph sequel next year.

READ MORE
    John Lasseter's Pattern of Alleged Misconduct Detailed by Disney/Pixar Insiders

Lasseter's full memo to employees is below.

I have always wanted our animation studios to be places where creators can explore their vision with the support and collaboration of other gifted animators and storytellers. This kind of creative culture takes constant vigilance to maintain. It’s built on trust and respect, and it becomes fragile if any members of the team don’t feel valued. As a leader, it’s my responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen; and I now believe I have been falling short in this regard.

I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.

In my conversations with Disney, we are united in our commitment to always treat any concerns you have with the seriousness they deserve, and to address them in an appropriate manner. We also share a desire to reinforce the vibrant, respectful culture that has been the foundation of our studios’ success since the beginning. And we agree the first step in that direction is for me to take some time away to reflect on how to move forward from here. As hard as it is for me to step away from a job I am so passionate about and a team I hold in the highest regard, not just as artists but as people, I know it’s the best thing for all of us right now. My hope is that a six-month sabbatical will give me the opportunity to start taking better care of myself, to recharge and be inspired, and ultimately return with the insight and perspective I need to be the leader you deserve.

I’m immensely proud of this team, and I know you will continue to wow the world in my absence. I wish you all a wonderful holiday season and look forward to working together again in the new year.

John

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I’m not surprised anymore. I said it on Facebook but I’m the mask, Jim Carrey told us the mask brings out who you really are and the mask represents power. Apparently that power shows us a lot of men are Dorian Tyrell

Can’t keep treating women like they’re your play things.

But I do want to know what he did or said to Rashida Jones

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
I’m not surprised anymore. I said it on Facebook but I’m the mask, Jim Carrey told us the mask brings out who you really are and the mask represents power. Apparently that power shows us a lot of men are Dorian Tyrell

Can’t keep treating women like they’re your play things.

But I do want to know what he did or said to Rashida Jones
Prolly told her she wasn't white and she was absolutely appalled :picard:

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Rashida Jones made a statement

According to her statement she didn't leave Toy Story 4 because of harrassment, but rather because Pixar isn't doing enough for a diverse workplace (people of color and women)

:mjpls:

I'll link in a sec my bad

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
This one sounds kind of odd. So he just hugged and kissed people on the cheek?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
fukked up thing is it really shows how women of color are treated as less than dogs in the industry, no matter their connections...

Harold Perrineu is a highly respected actor whose been working for more than 30 years and his daughter gets raped by a Cac writer...

And now Quincy Jones daughter getting harassed by John Lassetter. THE Quincy Jones.

Most of the time these Cacs stay away from other famous/respected Cacs kids out of respect but let it be a Black woman and no matter WHOSE child they may be their just another ******....

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Rashida Jones addresses departure from Pixar's 'Toy Story 4' amid John Lasseter's leave

Actress and screenwriter Rashida Jones has addressed her exit from Pixar’s Toy Story 4in the wake of John Lasseter, the animation studio’s chief creative officer, taking a formal leave of absence due to unspecified “missteps.”

In a statement issued Tuesday and obtained by EW, Jones and her writing partner, Will McCormack, refuted a report by The Hollywood Reporter that said they parted ways with the project after Lasseter made “an unwanted advance” toward Jones. Rather, the duo said, their departure had to do with the company’s treatment of female and minority voices.

“The breakneck speed at which journalists have been naming the next perpetrator renders some reporting irresponsible,” Jones and McCormack’s statement said. “We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. That is untrue. We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences. There is so much talent at Pixar, and we remain enormous fans of their films. However, it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice.”

Noting that only one of the 20 films in the company’s history was co-directed by a woman and only one was directed by a person of color, Jones and McCormack called on Pixar “to be leaders in bolstering, hiring, and promoting more diverse and female storytellers and leaders. We hope we can encourage all those who have felt like their voices could not be heard in the past to feel empowered.”

Jones and McCormack, who previously co-wrote the 2012 film Celeste and Jesse Forever, had been brought on to pen the fourth installment of Pixar’s flagship franchise, which is currently scheduled to hit theaters in June 2019.

Lasseter announced in an internal memo Tuesday morning that he was taking a six-month sabbatical from his role as chief creative officer of Pixar, Walt Disney Animation Studios, and Disneytoon. He also offered an apology “to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form.” Shortly after Lasseter’s memo went public, The Hollywood Reporter reported allegations of misconduct against him.

A Disney spokesperson said of Lasseter’s leave, “We are committed to maintaining an environment in which all employees are respected and empowered to do their best work. We appreciate John’s candor and sincere apology and fully support his sabbatical.”