Jimmy Walker(JJ) Blasting His 'GoodTimes' 70's Show Castmates

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps

Jimmie Walker, who played J.J. on the ’70s sitcom “Good Times,” sat down for a tell-all interview where he gave all kinds of behind the scenes details.

While he discussed the technical aspects of the show, in terms of the initial premise and story lines, he spent much of the time talking smack about his cast mates. The 71-year-old also talked about the problems he had with folks on the show, specifically, John Amos, who played his father James Evans, Esther Rolle, who played his mother, Michael and Thelma played by Ralph Carter and Bern Nadette Stanis and Ja’Net DuBois, who played Willona.

Walker also suggested that his former cast mates weren’t appreciative of being on a hit show and didn’t realize how fleeting that level of success was.

“I think that they killed the goose that laid the golden egg,” he stated. “These people, anytime you said anything, they get crazy, they get upset. I said ‘They don’t get it, man.’”

He also claimed that DuBois complained to the writers a lot, mainly about her character not doing enough. So much so, they eventually expanded her role and that’s how the Penny character, played by Janet Jackson, was created.

“Without Ja’Net, I don’t think Janet Jackson would’ve ever gotten on our show,” said Walker. “Because she laid out her side of whatever so much, that the writer said ‘We’ve got to do something to get her off our backs.’”

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i remember him being on Tavis Smiley show promoting his memoirs and saying the same things.

he said something like "Tavis, the conversation we're having right now is longer than anyone I ever had with them"

Tavis: :dwillhuh:

that shyt caught him off guard, me as well :pachaha:

remember seeing the e true hollywood story about the drama on the show

i didnt timestanp but 16 minutes in for the drama

Last edited:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Sounds like the rest of the cast got along fine and just didn't like his buckdancing ass.

JJ's character basically took over the show and redefined everything.

Good Times was originally supposed to be based on the mother's character. JJ's buckdancing became popular and swayed ratings, so they stuck with it.

John Amos didn't like it so they killed him off. And once they made JJ the man of the house, the show was never the same.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The stars hated him for the same reason the stars hated Urkel. They thought they were going to be on a dramedy about hood life and a court jester took over the show.
From the actress that played Florida
He's 18 and he doesn't work. He can't read or write. He doesn't think. The show didn't start out to be that...Little by little—with the help of the artist, I suppose, because they couldn't do that to me—they have made J.J. more stupid and enlarged the role. Negative images have been slipped in on us through the character of the oldest child.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
breh is/was fukking Anne Coulter :mjlol: that makes no sense

The stars hated him for the same reason the stars hated Urkel. They thought they were going to be on a dramedy about hood life and a court jester took over the show.
Not true at all.

The Family Matters cast seems incredibly close and supportive of each other. Especially the cat who played Waldo.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
What is Jimmie talking about Bernadette (Thelma) doing a pent up, but not showing any flesh, then turning around and saying the bikini shot would have boosted her career. I'm glad John and Norman did put him in check on that one.

I guess on a brighter note, my brother who lived in New York for a few years in the late 80's, met Jimmie Walker and chatted with him in a club, and said he was cool...had him cracking up.

Last edited:

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
JJ's character basically took over the show and redefined everything.

Good Times was originally supposed to be based on the mother's character. JJ's buckdancing became popular and swayed ratings, so they stuck with it.

John Amos didn't like it so they killed him off. And once they made JJ the man of the house, the show was never the same.

:ohhh:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Not true at all.

The Family Matters cast seems incredibly close and supportive of each other. Especially the cat who played Waldo.

I don't have the video, but I watched something where I think one of the parents complained about it. Maybe someone else remembers what they were on