Jayson Tatum on COVID: "I don't feel the same that I did before I had it"

horizon

Veteran
Daps
Some NBA players feel COVID effects long-term

In Fred VanVleet’s first game back after two-and-a-half weeks sitting out with COVID, he had the worst shooting night of his career. On Tuesday, he described his time in isolation: "I just felt the sickness, I could just feel it in me, I could feel it in my bones and my blood and my muscles,” adding he “wouldn’t wish it on anybody.”

Portland forward Nassir Little told The Athletic that he lost 20 pounds in three weeks and wondered if he would ever play again. “I’m not trying to sound morbid or anything, but it was to the point where it was like, you just don’t want to feel anything. It was really that bad. You just wished it would stop. It was consistent, 24/7 … just miserable pain. My back was hurting so bad, my headaches were terrible, I couldn’t eat anything.”

A local fireman arrived at Skiba’s office after overcoming a mild case of COVID-19. Once his symptoms subsided, he felt OK and went back to the station.

Then an emergency call came in, and he couldn’t pick up the fire hose. The confused shame nearly brought him to tears.

“Doc, I can’t train. I can’t haul the hose,” Skiba recalls him saying. “I wasn’t that sick. What’s wrong with me?”

Skiba checked his lungs, heart and other organs. Nothing out of the ordinary.

“I don’t have a good answer for it,” Skiba says. “These guys are not wimps. They’re embarrassed to come in and see me. And it’s just terrible. I’m the guy who’s supposed to know. And I don’t. We just don’t.”

Athletes of all kinds are looking for answers. Skiba has become quite prominent in the sports medicine space on Twitter for his work on COVID-19. He has been hearing from athletes—including NBA players—through Twitter direct messages.

Mostly he advises NBA players to proceed with an extremely conservative approach.

Skiba has seen several instances of endurance athletes coming back too soon, which sets them back for months. He’s seen collegiate runners who regularly used to post sub-15-minute 5Ks who still can’t clock in under 30 minutes months after COVID.

“The scary part is,” Skiba says,” we don’t know why that is yet.”

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anybody that watched him before he got Covid knows he's not the same player. Same story with Michael Porter Jr, he missed 2 weeks back in January and is just now starting to get is groove back.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Coli's told me it's just a flu though :troll:
It’s crazy how people say this like the flu is a joke. I had the flu my freshman year in college and I thought I was gonna die. Like legitimately. You know when your foot is asleep and you get that electric-y prickly feeling? I had that all over my body and I was sitting in bed thinking like “:ohhh: I think this is it.” :heh:.