Jay-Z "A Ballad for the Fallen Soldier" appreciation

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt sounded soooo forced. Like someone had a gun to his head and said "Make a conscious song"

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I thought Allure was similar but much better.

Ballad wasn't bad though, but it's hard for me to listen to it without wanting to just play Allure instead.

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought Allure was similar but much better.

Ballad wasn't bad though, but it's hard for me to listen to it without wanting to just play Allure instead.

"allure" and "Ballad" in the same breathe is blasphemy....

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
I thought this song was dope, then again I love conscious Hip Hop.

It was my sixth favorite song on that album.

I'm shocked its getting so much hate in this thread, a song like "So many Hoes" was a much worse song IMO.

Then again "So many hoes" is kinda funny, as I can imagine Jay doing the :scusthov: face while a inspiring rapper is bothering him in the club.

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought this song was dope, then again I love conscious Hip Hop.

It was my sixth favorite song on that album.

I'm shocked its getting so much hate in this thread, a song like "So many Hoes" was a much worse song IMO.

Then again "So many hoes" is kinda funny, as I can imagine Jay doing the :scusthov: face while a inspiring rapper is bothering him in the club.

I like conscious Hip Hop as much as the next man.. The problem is, you have to be a conscious person for it to come out good. With Jay, it sounded too forced. It wasn't natural. It's like Nas making a song like "Bling Bling".... "So Many Hoes" was 10x better, you know why, because that was Jay's element at that time. It sounded natural

Daps
The problem is, you have to be a conscious person for it to come out good. With Jay, it sounded too forced. It wasn't natural.
Jay-Z's main flaw if u ask me.
The nikka's raps don't have soul.
Even in the songs where he gets somewhat personal about his past like "You Must Love Me", "Where Have You Been", and "Still Got Love For U" sound contrived.

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
Way too forced, but his worst was "Minority Report" with his 'I think I'm about to cry'-ass flow

Prez2032

Pro
Daps
Even in the songs where he gets somewhat personal about his past like "You Must Love Me", "Where Have You Been", and "Still Got Love For U" sound contrived.

Exactly, I do not know how u can be the undidputed GOAT and not have a conscious side. ALl the others do. Hell, even Biggie had some of that. THis nikka Jay be on that str* up c00n shyt. My fav song he ever did (changes every day) is Momma Loves Me. Even on that shyt u be like damn Jay is that really the deepest u can go :wtf:

msims

Bmore nicca
Daps
I'm going to be honest, this song was the reason I became a Jay stan. Back then I was naive. :ld:

Looking back, I realized, I liked the song more because of Pharrells beat, more than I like Jay's lyrics. The vibe of the song was hot, because back then, Pharrell was king of that melo shyt (See Frontin :yes:)

That's the only reason I started following Jay.

I like conscious Hip Hop as much as the next man.. The problem is, you have to be a conscious person for it to come out good. With Jay, it sounded too forced. It wasn't natural. It's like Nas making a song like "Bling Bling".... "So Many Hoes" was 10x better, you know why, because that was Jay's element at that time. It sounded natural

Honestly, this gets me every time. This dude cannot be soulful. I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way. He reminds me of a goofball tryin to be serious.

Ol'I got my mojo back, baby! Oh behave--ass nikka. :beli:

Last edited by a moderator: