J.Cole: "I might not be as Successful as I am now if i was dark skin"

Ooh Marty

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere plottin
Stolen from the booth :lolbron:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/j-co...ssful-as-i-am-now-if-i-was-dark-skin”.140738/

Discuss TLR!

After getting Macklemore’s comments on his ‘white privilege’ earlier this week, J. Cole revealed to BET that he doesn’t believe he would be as successful if he was a dark skin African American instead of a light skin. Read his comments below:

There’s been a lot of conversation about the Trayvon Martin tragedy and what young Black men experience. Do you experience racism?
For sure, absolutely, I just got pulled over on 42nd street in Times Square for what I believe was nothing. They said it was for tints on my front window, which is barely tinted. I really believe it was because I had my hat low. I was driving through Times Square and I just didn’t want to be seen. So I had my hat low and I think I was looking “suspicious” just as a Black man with my brim low, when I was really just trying to cover my face. They came to my window, pulled me over. I feel like if I was a white man driving, they wouldn’t question me about my tints. They told me to roll down my back window; they look in my car as if they’re looking for something. I feel like that was the real thing, they were trying to catch somebody slipping. That just happened three days ago. I almost didn’t even name that because I am so used to that. That’s something that I feel like somebody my age that’s white doesn’t have to go through, especially in New York City. On the other hand, every time I’m on the plane in first class — this is a lesser evil but it still represents their mind state — I promise you, 60 percent of the time somebody asks me what basketball team do I play for or do I rap. [Laughs] I am a rapper, I wish I could tell them something better — that happens all the time and I hate it. I hate that we’re stereotyped and I hate that I’m fitting into the same stereotype.

You’ve talked about including dark-skinned women in your music videos versus all light-skinned women. The light-skinned, dark-skinned issue certainly affects women in hip hop; does it affect men in hip hop?
I can’t say it for sure but I just think we’re still in America. We’re still Black Americans. Those mental chains are still in us. That brainwashing that tells us that light skin is better, it’s subconsciously in us, whether we know it or not… still pursuing light skin women. There are some women out there that are like, “I don’t even like light skin men” and that’s fine. But Barack Obama would not be President if he were dark skin. You know what I mean? That’s just the truth. I might not be as successful as I am now if I was dark skin. I’m not saying that for sure, I’m still as talented as I am and Obama is still as smart as he is, but it’s just a sad truth… I don’t even know if this is going to translate well into text and people not hearing what I’m saying, but it’s a sad reality. So I can only naturally assume it’s probably easier for a light skin male rapper than it might be for a dark skin male rapper. It’s all subconscious s***, nobody’s aware — I think that s*** still subconsciously affects us.

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
Not sure where Cole is going with this. Unless you believe all rap is fake, it's not like he's in corporate America and needs to be the light face of some corporation.

Maybe he could argue that he would have been less successful in school and that college propelled him into the rap game. But that's a reeeeaaal stretch.

Sorry can't ride with you on this one Cole. Not as long as you are a rapper. Biggie, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane & Lil Wayne are some of the most successful rappers ever. Naw dawg.

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hes right on the barack part....not so sure about the rap part theres mad successful darkskin rappers...

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He seems to be confused. The vast majority of all successful male rappers are dark skin.

i believe he is talkin bout females, who are the vast majority of fans who buy his albums and go to his shows. Being light skinned helps. The top 10 rappers/songers wit largest female fanbase are all light skinned. Drake, Cole, Breezy, Weeknd, Miguel, Nicki,etc. Da hoes luh us

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
This nikka finna fukk around and disappoint NaS all over again:snoop:

His looks have nothing to do with his success. On that vibe cover with NaS,he looks like a rapist:demonic:
Even in workout plan he looked creepy as fukk watching them kids on the playground:shaq:
I wonder if he been on any picnics lately:mjpls:

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Be a white man in this society brehs, get worshipped

Be a biracial or mixed in this society brehs, get coddled

Be a young dark skin man trying to make it society, get the short stick

:wow:

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
He seems to be confused. The vast majority of all successful male rappers are dark skin.

Maybe back in the day, but these days unless you c00n it up for white folks or are white/light skin then you're not gonna have much success sales wise. Kendrick Lamar seems like the rare exception.