J. Cole: “I Might Not be as Successful as I am Now if I Was Dark Skin”

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
I really dont ruse into color for the sake of color. The term dark is being used loosely, but J Cole used the term dark initially, and Jay-Z and Tupac are dark when compared to J Cole and they more successful than J.Cole thus far because of the message in music. The color thing is silly and filmsy and sad...Eminem does have his talents, but could be overrated because of his color.
I disagree with the color thing. Im Wesley Snipes black so when u put Pac and Hov in the category I scratch my head. The Obama comparison was correct, a truly dark skinned nikka wouldnt have been elected. Look bruh I agree that this convo is sad but its a reality of the world we live in. I love all my black people of complexions im just keeping it real.

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
Crackas be photoshopping dark nikkas to look lighter and less-threatening.

Non-photoshopped Kanye nikka dark as hell doggie.
kim-kardashian-kanye-west-cannes-1-1.jpg
either way you slice it, kanye is still winning and kanye looks angry and agitated, so does kim

just because of he is around cac does not mean he looks any different

photoshopping occurs more so with female talent

Last edited:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Kanye was already a established name by the time that album came out. Talent does sale but yall are in denial about the lightskin factor. Id bet more FEMALES buy Coles albums because of his look matched with songs. Power trip, Crooked Smile, etc.
Your right about his fan base being more females. I'm on other sites and it's mostly just chicks talking bout him.

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
I disagree with the color thing. Im Wesley Snipes black so when u put Pac and Hov in the category I scratch my head. The Obama comparison was correct, a truly dark skinned nikka wouldnt have been elected. Look bruh I agree that this convo is sad but its a reality of the world we live in. I love all my black people of complexions im just keeping it real.
when compared to j cole their dark...if a dark mayor are elected for political office, they could run for presidential office. Obama had a unique story, with mass appeal, but they have over critical about Obama moves, even more so because he is "new" to the old boys club.

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So we going to act like Kendrick didn't just go platinum?

Silly point. He didn't say a dark skinned rapper couldn't sell. That's like saying because Nelly went diamond with Country Grammar, it invalidates the argument that Eminem wouldn't be as successful if he wasn't white. For the record I don't think a dark skinned rapper has it especially hard in hiphop but that was really part of a bigger point he was making if you read the article in context.

His greater more important point is that Race and complexion are still problems in America. In general, lighter skin is favored by many whites (and some blacks) as being more attractive/less threatening which is why his point about Obama is dead on. A Wesley Snipes looking black man with distinct African features would face more resistance gaining acceptability among white americans.

Cats overlook a whole page of realness to nit pick a minor example. Not suprising but come on yall...

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
I
lol Y'all don't see how they be photoshopping nikkas to look lighter in the media? Beyonce look like damn near a White girl and she already light as fukk.

I made a thread about this a minute ago... all these black celebrities getting blond hair & photoshopped lighter to appeal to a "broader" audience... it's disgusting...

This is why I respect the Nubian Goddess Kelly Rowland because she embraces her skintone... :salute:

Rem

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yall are naming dark skinned rappers but you are failing to realize that none of those rappers make the same kind of music as Cole. Coles hits hits are love songs, rick ross, gucci, etc dont have the look to pull off a song like Power Trip. I think Cole is saying he sales because his skin tone fits with that love song category that women of all races feel comfortable looking at.

I'll add to that and say there's actually a perfect case study for this right now. And that is Wale. In Wale and Cole you have two artists that are roughly about the same age, make the same music, carter to the same audience, and came out within a week of each other. J.cole is outselling Wale by twice the amount though, despite the fact that both albums are about equal in quality (many on this forum would argue that Gifted was better actually).