J. Cole: “I Might Not be as Successful as I am Now if I Was Dark Skin”

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
look at the black vanilla ice, y'all.

why in the fukk would you entertain as a blackman.
some talk about light and darkskin.
which would breed divisiveness,...
this nikka, graduated college,.....
sheit,...I can't tell.

dis nikka, j cole is a nas biter, and copied the dumb goofie parts just as well, too.

Art Barr

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
Yall are naming dark skinned rappers but you are failing to realize that none of those rappers make the same kind of music as Cole. Coles hits hits are love songs, rick ross, gucci, etc dont have the look to pull off a song like Power Trip. I think Cole is saying he sales because his skin tone fits with that love song category that women of all races feel comfortable looking at.
Cole is a rapper, only more recently has he had hit singles. One of his singles was "Who Dat". Power Trip song did cross over. Cole probably talking about some bias he has seen, but he himself says, there are those who dont like light skin guys, but because of what Cole brings/personality he would get play. Sometimes the chick wants to be the attractive one. Some chicks seek out unattractive guys ||. Most amount of sales is Jay Z, 2 pac, Eminem and its more so talent. Eminem crossover/novelty to some was what it was.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Yall are naming dark skinned rappers but you are failing to realize that none of those rappers make the same kind of music as Cole. Coles hits hits are love songs, rick ross, gucci, etc dont have the look to pull off a song like Power Trip. I think Cole is saying he sales because his skin tone fits with that love song category that women of all races feel comfortable looking at.

good way to look at it
Sit down nikkas.
808's and heartbreak = made by a dark, ugly ass nikka that can't sing worth a damn... did double numbers than j cole.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
nikkaz aint just light and dark skinned. Vast majority are BROWN skin...you know...the shyt in the middle? :snoop:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
ugliest nikka in the game lil wayne that kisses other nikkas named baby made a shytty ass rock in roll album called Rebirth that shyt sold more than Born Sinner. :russ:

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
Cole is a rapper, only more recently has he had hit singles. One of his singles was "Who Dat". Power Trip song did cross over. Cole probably talking about some bias he has seen, but he himself says, there are those who dont like light skin guys, but because of what Cole brings/personality he would get play. Sometimes the chick wants to be the attractive one. Some chicks seek out unattractive guys ||. Most amount of sales is Jay Z, 2 pac, Eminem and its more so talent. Eminem crossover/novelty to some was what it was.
You dont need to school me on Cole, ive been a fan since The Come Up but im not naive. You mention Eminem but hes the poster boy of only being a superstar because he is white. A black eminem would not be considered the GOAT, rapping about killing his mom and shyt. Tupac wasnt light or dark skinned so that doesnt count either and many women found him attractive. Jay Z is more popular among males and he isnt dark skinned so that argument still doesnt work. Im not here to discredit Cole, he is my top 3 favorite rapper right now but yall are in denial.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
nikkaz aint just light and dark skinned. Vast majority are BROWN skin...you know...the shyt in the middle? :snoop:
Crackas be photoshopping dark nikkas to look lighter and less-threatening.

Non-photoshopped Kanye nikka dark as hell doggie.
kim-kardashian-kanye-west-cannes-1-1.jpg

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
You dont need to school me on Cole, ive been a fan since The Come Up but im not naive. You mention Eminem but hes the poster boy of only being a superstar because he is white. A black eminem would not be considered the GOAT, rapping about killing his mom and shyt. Tupac wasnt light or dark skinned so that doesnt count either and many women found him attractive. Jay Z is more popular among males and he isnt dark skinned so that argument still doesnt work. Im not here to discredit Cole, he is my top 3 favorite rapper right now but yall are in denial.
I really dont ruse into color for the sake of color. The term dark is being used loosely, but J Cole used the term dark initially, and Jay-Z and Tupac are dark when compared to J Cole and they more successful than J.Cole thus far because of the message in music. The color thing is silly and filmsy and sad...Eminem does have his talents, but could be overrated because of his color.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
When Michael Jackson had vitilgo he had three directions to go:

1. Look like a snow leopard with white and black spots everywhere.

2. Bleach his skin whiter.

3. Uh.. Tan and paint himself darker on some Robert Downey Jr. Tropical Thunder shyt.

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
he right tho...but someone call nino to get this light skinned nikka outta here

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
Sit down nikkas.
808's and heartbreak = made by a dark, ugly ass nikka that can't sing worth a damn... did double numbers than j cole.
Kanye was already a established name by the time that album came out. Talent does sale but yall are in denial about the lightskin factor. Id bet more FEMALES buy Coles albums because of his look matched with songs. Power trip, Crooked Smile, etc.