IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Go in depth breh, please

I`m just saying its easy to get stuck. I`d say while you are doing help desk since it seems like you want to go the infrastructure route, try and get 2 certs during your time in help desk and after you get those certs try to aim for something like a system admin role next. Most folks just get into these type of roles and they dont really do anything but go to work and then look up and yrs have gone by and they are still in the same role.

Daps
I been researching about IT and not just in the coli and every bodies saying that it's so hard to get a IT job people with 4 year degrees saying they can't get a help desk job and some people saying certs were worthless idk I mostly been on Reddit but my question is what type of jobs can you get in IT except for system admin or help desk and what is a specific path that I need to take to get these positions is there anyone that I can pm?

https://www.roberthalf.com/sites/de.../robert_half_technology_2016_salary_guide.pdf

That doc has a bunch of IT roles and job descriptions other than sysadmin or helpdesk.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For those who have a buisness or trying to create their own. How do manage work, the time studying for new certs, with the work for your buisness?

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I`m just saying its easy to get stuck. I`d say while you are doing help desk since it seems like you want to go the infrastructure route, try and get 2 certs during your time in help desk and after you get those certs try to aim for something like a system admin role next. Most folks just get into these type of roles and they dont really do anything but go to work and then look up and yrs have gone by and they are still in the same role.
Which certs exactly?
When is the time that I get them?
What exactly is the role of system admin?
What are my other possible options besides system admin as far as someone who's just moving up with only certs? What programming languages would help me move up?

Last edited:

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which certs exactly?
none in particular just new knowledge in general. It seems in whatever form of I.T you are in you are constantly studying and learning something new. Maybe that an inaccurate impressions but that's the one I get. If it's true how do balance that with trying to create your own business?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which ones are the go tos for someone moving up with only certs and no degree? I know all ain't possible since I read itt the data whatever requires a master.
I see some stuff on their like c# and Ajax. learning this stuff would help me move up too? (I know a little c#)

network engineer seems to be one but, i cant say from expirience. Someone posted before ccna> ccnp > ccie> eat

But getting experience in between.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Java will put you in the game....

fyi

Bachelor's + 3 years java = $60k-70k

+ 5 years $85k-$100k

5 years ago...I never thought I could ask for over $85k

That is what is on my profile on dice.com...and they call and email DAILY
What bout knowin java with no degree

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
What bout knowin java with no degree

Thats a gamble tbh...because I also work with our HR and they akways advertise for degrees.

That being said..its still possible but you wont be able to csst as widr of a net....you need to go through a headhunter mos def

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Thats a gamble tbh...because I also work with our HR and they akways advertise for degrees.

That being said..its still possible but you wont be able to csst as widr of a net....you need to go through a headhunter mos def
Headhunter?